Amplifier Buzz/Static Sound

Adam W.

Aug 19, 2020
Visit site
Earlier today I was sitting about two feet away from my Arcam SA20 amp when it randomly started to buzz and make a static/electric type noise. It was powered on and the volume was set at about 20. No music playing.

The buzzing stopped (went back to the normal, barely audible level) after lowering the volume to 0. I turned the unit off and on again and it seems to be normal except for a very quiet but constant static/electrical sound coming from inside the amp. I have to put my ear close to hear it. It sounds like something is shorting but everything seems to be working.

Any ideas about what could have happened or what the static sound might be?

Thanks.

ThisIsJimmy

Nov 11, 2020
Visit site
Earlier today I was sitting about two feet away from my Arcam SA20 amp when it randomly started to buzz and make a static/electric type noise. It was powered on and the volume was set at about 20. No music playing.

The buzzing stopped (went back to the normal, barely audible level) after lowering the volume to 0. I turned the unit off and on again and it seems to be normal except for a very quiet but constant static/electrical sound coming from inside the amp. I have to put my ear close to hear it. It sounds like something is shorting but everything seems to be working.

Any ideas about what could have happened or what the static sound might be?

Thanks.
Hello

Can you advise on what is sharing the same plug socket outlets? It sounds like noise is being enduced by another device on the same circuit.

Jimmy

The SA20 is connected to the same power adapter as my Cambridge Audio CXN, Cambridge Audio CXC and Apple TV. It’s a Tripp Lite Isobar4.
Was all the sound you heard a mechanical noise within the amp, or was anything emanating from the speakers?
If only the former then I’d also suspect some noise carried in via the mains, though a good design shouldn’t be susceptible. Is their engineering works nearby, or factories?
How old is the amp, as it’s a new model? I guess there could be an electrical defect though that would usually create a fault condition or blow a fuse.

ThisIsJimmy

Nov 11, 2020
Visit site
Ok. The Triplite 4 is supposed to be pretty heavy duty, so it seems very unlikely any noise will be as a result of normal electrics. How long have you had it?
Do you have any other electrical devices in the near vicinity to the amp?
Is anything resting on any RCA/loose shielded cables that feed into the amp?
Have you checked for any obvious loops For Ground, etc? I know the Triplite is supposed to protect against this, but it might be worth unplugging the Cambridge Audio Devices to see if this noise goes away as a test.

TRENDING THREADS