Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all,

I have the following:

Arcam CD73

Pro-ject Debut turntable 

Arcam A65+ amp

Mission 780SE speakers

Since new, the setup has felt a bit underpowered (indeed the Mission's themselves recommend an amp that is 50W minimum, the amp is only 40) and slightly lacking in bass, and really only comes to life when turned up just that little bit too loud, if that makes sense?

I like the speakers (sound and size), and have no problem with the CD player at all (seems very detailed and 'open') but 5 years on, I am searching for a new amp. I have a budget up to £400, and whilst I prefer new, don't mind 2nd hand for the right amp.  I am beginning to believe I need the recommended amp power (any thoughts on the difference this will make?) to bring the speakers to life at all volume levels, so am after 50W pc as a minimum to meet that.  We also listen to vinyl, so prefer a phono input (MM) or an amp and phono stage recommendation, still under £400.  A remote is also a necessity as the amp lives behind glass to minimise toddler playing.

From a bit of research on the web , I have got to this sort of list:

- Arcam (find an old A85 seems to be consensus)

- Rotel RA-05 (but is it powerful enough?)

- NAD 355BEE + a phono stage

- Marantz PM6002

Can anyone recommend a dealer in London (west preferred) who will let me try an amp at home with my speakers and CD / Turntable? 

All thoughts welcomed! 

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Good list of amps there and yes, youre right re the Arcam, it does lack power as most of the Arcam DiVA range did bar the A85 which seemed to be one on its own!

IMO id be looking at a decent example of an Arcam A85 integrated via eBay or a decent Arcam Alpha 10 integrated. Both can be upgraded with their matching power amps at a later date offering you a more detailed and powerful soundstage.

If it's new youre after the NAD C355BEE would be very good as would the Rotel RA-05.

Again though; if youre happy with 2nd hand seaprates, take a look on eBay for a NAD C352 integrated.

What would be handy to know is what kinfd of music do you generally listen to?

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your reply and comments..

We listen to mainly indie and 'folk' (artists like Sufjan Stevens, Tunng, Fleet Foxes, Verve, Kings of Leon), and the vinyl is in general older stuff (60's, 70's Byrds, Stones, Simon & Garfunkel) never too loud (live in a flat), and also have the TV hooked up to it (Sky HD).

Not after multichannel, and it's the music performance that's most important to us.

Do you, or anyone else, know if there are substantial differences between phone stages (NAD, Project, Cambridge...?).

ÿ

T

the record spot

I'd broaden your spectrum a little and look out the Exposure 2010s, Audiolab 8000s (which is upgradeable with the option to add a power amp), Marantz PM7001-KI which is a superb amp, now discontinued, so likely available on a good deal. Also, a used Unison Research Unico amp, used Arcam Alpha 10, all of these will major on detail, some a little warmer than others but all of which will do wonders with folk - in the vocals, other midrange - whilst indie will be well served assuming you've got got good recordings to start with.

EDIT: the 780s thrive on power, hence - as you've noticed - you'll want something with plenty in reserve.

A

Anonymous

Hi James,

If you're a fan of the Arcam sound, and I think it probably complements your musical tastes well, have you considered just adding a power amp, such as P75/85/90 to your A65+. This way, you'll beef up your power, retain the same sonic characteristics, and be able to bi-amp if your speakers allow. And it will cost less than 400 quid.

Just a thought.

Shuggie

A

Anonymous

Hi James23. That's exactly the same system I had until recently. I bought an Arcam A32 and the sound has been completely transformed. Those little missions need at least 70 watts up them. They now sound amazing (although they are still a little bass shy). I would urge you to save that little bit longer and go for an A32 (about £500-£600ish second hand). However, if this is not an option, a second hand A85 will still be a good shout and this will make a big difference to the sound, compared to your A65.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts