Amplifier Advice and explanation

MAD

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Hi all

I read almost daily the hi-fi forum and I'm wondering about the answers about amplifiers advices people do.

Almost all answers recommends, no matter the speakers people have, brands like Rega, Roksan, Rotel and a few others recommends Nad, creek, Arcam, etc. I know they are excellent brands and they fill the different musical needs and sounds quality and preferences people have, but why almost no one suggest Cambridge Audio amplifiers? Is because the sound quality is not good, or because they are build in China, or maybe they are expensive? I would like to know experts thoughts because the reviews I read gives a good rating to these amplifiers (specifically the Azur 851A).

Thank you for your help

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
It could be an image problem, CA are sold exclusively by Richer Sounds which is a sort of pile it high sell it cheap retailer not the sort of hifi dealer you would buy expensive gear from, decent demos could also be a problem in some stores from my experience. The CA 851A is £1,200?

If I was spending that sort of money I doubt I would be going to Richers for a demo. ?mark over reliabilty, I went to buy a CA blu ray player from a Richers store, both units they had in stock did not work, I was not too impressed as I had a 90 mile journey.

Good question. The Richer connection may be a factor, though they can demo Cambridge against other makes.

The designs seem excellent, but I tend to get the impression they are rushed out before fuly developed, or have great design but frustrating flaws (like remotes with inconsistent functions, or different coloured lights, or on/off switches in different places on the fascia).

They have won many awards and can be had with long warranties.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
My experience with Richer Sounds has been less than fantastic in the past. Demos seemingly difficult to organise and tatty equipment on show in the demo room, including a very wobbly hifi rack.

Didn't do my confidence in their professionalism any good.

Tannoyed

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
I wouldn't worry unduly about Richer Sounds, they play with a pretty straight bat in my experience but they cater mainly for the low to mid-range market.

My experience of Cambridge Audio was somewhat tarnished when I bought a cd player from Richer as part of a budget package for my work room. There was the most terrible buzz on the sound when playing quiet passages. I got a replacement and it was exactly the same so it must have been a design fault.

In fairness the amp and dab tuner have been ok but probably not my first choice in the future.

Technics (Panasonic by another name I think) has always had a first class reputation. I bought a Panasonic high spec VCR in about 1990 and it still works perfectly. I have had very little trouble with Panasonic products over the years and whilst I have repaired a lot of stuff, Pan equipment rarely needs attention. Neither do Sony, Samsung,Pioneer and a lot of other Japanese manufacturer's equipment. These days Korean products made in Korea seem to be of the best quality. I digress. I will leave it there.

matthewpiano

I went through a bit of a CA phase a few years ago and thoroughly enjoyed an Azur 740C and 740A combination amongst other things.

I think they have fallen behind a bit in recent years, particularly when you compare prices to those of equivalent gear from the likes of Marantz and Rotel, as well as kit from the likes of Rega and Exposure. My last dalliance with the brand was a 351C CD player but it went back as the CD tray was troublesome. We had the same issue with 3 different Topaz CD players at work too, and I've heard of similar from other quarters. The amps also seem to have a bit of a reputation for losing channels and/or inputs over time. I'd rather put my faith in something else.

Interesting, Richers don't seem so CA focused as they once were either, particularly since they started stocking more 'premium' brands.

Richer Sounds

Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
BigH said:
It could be an image problem, CA are sold exclusively by Richer Sounds which is a sort of pile it high sell it cheap retailer not the sort of hifi dealer you would buy expensive gear from, decent demos could also be a problem in some stores from my experience. The CA 851A is £1,200?

If I was spending that sort of money I doubt I would be going to Richers for a demo. ?mark over reliabilty, I went to buy a CA blu ray player from a Richers store, both units they had in stock did not work, I was not too impressed as I had a 90 mile journey.

Hi there,

I was obviously sorry to read your comments on the thread regarding a recent poor experience with one of our stores and offer my sincere apologies.

In order that I may take this up with the store manager concerned as a matter or urgency, please would you contact me with some more details via the below e-mail address?

john.p.clayton@richersounds.com

Once again, I offer my apologies, I look forward to hearing from you soon. Of course, if any other forum member has any queries then do feel free to get in touch.

Many Thanks

John Clayton

Operations Director

Richer Sounds

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
I've bought a number of products from Richer including a Cambridge audio 840A v2. -

Great sound -great value -great service -and no problems whatsoever.

Tonky

unhalfbricking

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
A couple of years ago I A/B demoed a Cambridge 651C against the Marantz 6004 CD player at Richer in Liverpool. The guy basically showed me the buttons to press to switch from one source to the other and left me to it for an hour. You really can't say fairer than that! By the end I had demoed the two CD players to oblivion. Eventually, I slunk back into the shop and said to the guy, 'Errrmmm....Ok. I've finished. Thanks.' So, it's a big thumbs up to Richer Sounds from me.

MAD

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Thank you all guys for your thoughts but my point is Cambridge audio amplifiers quality, not Richer Sounds experience. Please help me to have clarity about my question in the first post. I would like to know Richer Sounds thoughts.

Thank you !!

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
As I said - cambridge audio 840A v2 (cost me 675£) great powerful, detailed and spacious sound. Heard the CA 740A amplifier - v good sound quality. I wanted to buy the CA 840 CD player (had it on demo - great sound quality) but they were all sold off by Richer sounds.

ok - tonky

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
As mentioned above, Cambridge Audio is Richer Sounds' own brand.

This is a common strategy if you have the volume to be able to implement it. Marks & Spencer have 'St Michael', John Lewis have 'Linea' and so on. It allows the retailer to source product at lower prices and as a result achieve higher sales margins or lower prices to the consumer (or both). Main saving comes from the elimination of the sales and marketing costs of the branded supplier.

As for being made in China, I would challenge anyone to find an electronic audio product where the majority of the components are not made in China. There are certainly products that are assembled in Europe, but they will still contain a significant proportion of Chinese components.

There is no reason why Cambridge Audio products should not perform as well as similarly priced branded products. Over the years I have owned various Cambridge Audio products that have worked just fine.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Hi-Fi stuff from Audio Partnership (Cambridge Audio, Mordaunt-Short) feels generic and faceless. Not interesting to love or hate. It never comes up in any hi-fi conversation.

IMO and IME the gear is as good as any NAD, Marantz, Rega, Roksan, Arcam, B&W, MA etc. in the budget region but it simply has no story. Considering it is not build quality issue, performance issue or single brand issue (same for both CA and MS), I think its a company PR / marketing failure.

Under the brand image / marketing sector umbrella is making sure dealers demo CA and MS gear properly. Here where I live the dealers just don't bother pushing CA and MS gear. Roksan, Marantz, MA and B&W is always ready for demo occupying the main floor. MS and CA is always stacked in the wall to wall rows of gear. When I asked for a demo of a pair of inneficient speakers with a CA amp, the dealer hooked them up to the weakest lowest price CA amp, despite their innefficiency. To say the results felt pathetic is an understatement. Why didn't he use a stronger CA amp? Well, he couldn't be bothered! Maybe other manufacturers pay better comission, who knows. It's not good for CA and MS sales and image either way.

I'd sack the responsible person for hi-fi brand image and marketing at Audio Partnership Plc and hire someone else with more agressive strategy. Make CA speakers the budget range and push MS as upper eschalon. Keep the engineers, they are doing an excellent job. The CA 851C and last MS Mezzo series are very budget minded yet so innovative, unlike the million times retold story of Naim and Rega that keep recycling from the 60s. Such a waste of talent and brand pedigree over at CA and MS.

TRENDING THREADS