Amp with digital inputs - advice required

Lal

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Hi, I need advice...

I want to play my CD player and TV through my speakers. My Rotel amplifier needs replacing. I am more hi if than movie watcher so have been convinced to stick to a hi if amp. Have been down to richer sounds who are recommending a Cambridge Audio ampl which has its own DAC built in http://www.m.richersounds.com/#!/product/CAMB-CXA-60-BLK this is £450 which is more than I wanted to pay. So I then found a Yamaha ampl which has digital inputs http://www.m.richersounds.com/#!/product/YAMA-AS301-BLK for £229. But what's the real difference between the two...and is it worth paying the additional for the Cambridge audio?

Look forward to hearing from some amp experts! :)

Lal

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
It depends what sort of level you're looking for. There's the Marantz PM6005 at £299, Teac AI301 at £399, Denon PMA50 and Yamaha RN500 network receiver at £449, Rotel RA11 at £499, and the Quad Vena at £599. Differences between them will be power, quality, and number of inputs, although which amplifier you choose may well depend on your speakers - there's no use looking at £300 amps if you have B&W 802s, for (extreme) example.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Lal said:
I want to play my CD player and TV through my speakers.

If you're going to do this through a stereo amp, as I guess you are if you're more a music listener than a watcher, then just make sure your TV has either a digital output able to be configured to output in stereo (rather than surround), or stereo analogue outputs you can connect to normal line-in on your chosen amp.

If you try to connect a digital output in surround into an amp's digital section only able to accept stereo signals, you'll either get nasty noises or no sound at all.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
God™ said:
One of my followers was explaining to me one day about how he had to use a very small cheap plug in DAC. I recal he said they're about £20 and would take a digital I out and then output that to RCA as a cheaper alternative to getting a whole new amplifier.

I also remember him mentioning that £200 AVR would accommodate all his digital needs and not compromise sound quality for 2 channel listening. I'm not an expert on such matters.

A lot of newer TVs don't have an analogue output, so many people get something like a cheap FiiO D03K to take a digital signal from the TV and output analogue. It's a great little DAC, but the main problem is the limited number of inputs limiting the number of sources you can use. Also not likely to be better than the DAC in the CD player.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Thats why i choose my amp as it has 3 optical and 1 digital cox input plus all the others

Its fantastic as i has bluray using digital cox input and tv the optical and also xbox. My pc is connected to the usb input

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Thats why i choose my amp as it has 3 optical and 1 digital cox input plus all the others

Its fantastic as i has bluray using digital cox input and tv the optical and also xbox. My pc is connected to the usb input

terrific, but OP's looking for 10 times cheaper option.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
I saw the £450 budget but just thought the new cambridge audio gear would have similar digital inputs as my amp has so wanted to say jow handy it is to have them.

Roger_A

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Lal said:
Hi, I need advice...

I want to play my CD player and TV through my speakers. My Rotel amplifier needs replacing. I am more hi if than movie watcher so have been convinced to stick to a hi if amp. Have been down to richer sounds who are recommending a Cambridge Audio ampl which has its own DAC built in http://www.m.richersounds.com/#!/product/CAMB-CXA-60-BLK this is £450 which is more than I wanted to pay. So I then found a Yamaha ampl which has digital inputs http://www.m.richersounds.com/#!/product/YAMA-AS301-BLK for £229. But what's the real difference between the two...and is it worth paying the additional for the Cambridge audio?

Look forward to hearing from some amp experts! :)

Lal

Why are you asking for advice about these two amps from the experts here? As you've quoted, Richer Sounds stock both models so why don't you ask for a demonstration and see if you can tell any difference and if the Cambridge one sounds better is it that much better that it is worth the extra cost? Richer are usually very accommodating in my experience and shouldn't mind doing this - ideally take your own speakers if they're not too big (or Richer may stock them). If you can't then ask them to pick the nearest and see if you can swap the amp if it doesn't sound as good on your system when you get it home.

Roger

Lal

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Thanks very much David. I will look at other options you have suggested.

Part of the issue was that I had a demo in Richersounds of the Cambridge vs an AV receiver and I was led to believe that the Cambridge was the entry model for an amp that would handle digital inputs. And nothing cheaper was suggested.

Lal

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Thanks all for your advice. I will look at further hi if amp options.

The issue was probably that Richersounds didn't suggest anything less than the Cambridge audio model ...and having done some investigation and with your input there are alternatives. So I may go back to Richersounds to demo other amps although I'm a bit peeved that they didn't suggest other amps.. Asi be generally had good service from them.

thanks again. :)

chelstondave

May 23, 2010
Visit site
the monitor audio a100 amp has digital inputs and got a good review so you could demonstrate this against the other options. Its well within your price range as it has dropped a lot lately

slice

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
As ID suggested, if your tv is the only digital connection you need, you can buy a analogue amp and then a cheap dac from the internet (loads on amazon for c £10) to connect the tv to the amp.....this assumes your current cd player is ok and you are happy to continue with it connected via analogue stereo cables. WHF liked the new onkyo amp (A9010?) which is £200 at RS.

Just a personal view: RS are sole distributors for cambridge kit and often seem keen to recommend it. In fact the cambridge amp you mentioned has only recently come out and is getting good reviews, but just something to be aware of.

Richer Sounds

Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Dear Lal,

I was sorry to read you felt the demonstration experience and the advice given by our store wasn't satisfactory on this occasion and offer my sincere apologies.

Customer Service is our top priority so it's always disappointing to read of an instance where any customer isn't completely satisfied.

In order that I may investigate and attempt to resolve this to your satisfaction would you be so kind as to contact me via the below e-mail address?

john.p.clayton@richersounds.com

Once again, I offer my apologies, I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Many Thanks

John Clayton

Operations Director

Richer Sounds

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts