Amp wattage higher than recommended speaker wattage

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have a Harman Kardon 3490 stereo receiver that puts out 120 watts per channel and I'm interested in buying a pair of B&W 685 bookshelf speakers which recommend an amp between 25 and 100 watts. What does this mean? Will these speakers work fine with this amp? Or should I consider different speakers. I will only be using them in a small/medium sized room.

A

Anonymous

More is not an issue, unless you try to turn the volume up all the way. I don't know Harmon Kardon, so their 120 watts might actually be less than Nad's 50 watts (No clue, just making a point about wattages not meaning much, except within the same company's lines).

Since you have the receiver, why don't you just take it with you to the dealer selling the speakers? You'll also find out what it sounds like.

T

the record spot

Harman are a decent manufacturer, so I'd imagine their 120w delivers what it says on the tin. The extra wattage won't be a problem, unless you drive the amp hard and the 685s will suffer in time. Good idea to take it along for the demo.

TRENDING THREADS