Amp volume

Boy wonder

Oct 27, 2020
Visit site
This is probably a stupid question.
I've recently decided to get back into separates hifi after 30 years of compact systems.
I've bought 2 amps, a Yamaha receiver and a Cambridge a5.
They both have an output of 60w per channel, however the Yamaha nearly blows my Windows out and the Cambridge only seems to get to half that volume.
Can anyone tell me why?

I may be that they have volume controls with very different ‘laws’. One may get loud very quickly, by 10 o’clock, say. That seems impressive, but isn’t very easy to adjust. One that needs to be nearer 2 or even 3 o’clock may be far more usable.

I have not checked the specs, but some rated the same into 8 ohms are not so good into 4 ohms, which quite a number of speakers reach at some frequencies.

Boy wonder

Oct 27, 2020
Visit site
The Cambridge does have a higher millivolt rating.
I'm torn now, I like it loud and the yam certainly ticks that box but the Cambridge is much nicer to look at, smaller and I don't need the tuner.

TrevC

This is probably a stupid question.
I've recently decided to get back into separates hifi after 30 years of compact systems.
I've bought 2 amps, a Yamaha receiver and a Cambridge a5.
They both have an output of 60w per channel, however the Yamaha nearly blows my Windows out and the Cambridge only seems to get to half that volume.
Can anyone tell me why?

Are you saying the Cambridge isn't loud enough?

D

Deleted member 188516

And have a look at the input sensitivity in the specs.
It should show the millivolt level to achieve the rated output.
You might find the Cambridge has the higher figure (making it less sensitive to the same source).

here is a guide the op may find of interest :-

Gray

here is a guide the op may find of interest :-
Yes he might, it is informative.
Unfortunately the OP here has the opposite problem - one with no such easy remedy.

I'll give your link to the OP in the 'suitable hi-res streamer' thread, it will be relevant to him with his old Quad amp.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts