Question Amp upgrade

Gordon67

Feb 28, 2022
Visit site
Hi folks,
I’m new to this forum, it looks really interesting!

I am going to upgrade my Arcam A29 amp (which I love but has developed a fault). I have an Arcam CDS27 CD player/streamer and Dali Opticon 6 floorstanders (bi-wired). After some research I think I’d like either the Arcam SA20 or the Roksan K3. It’s a long story but I don’t have the option to listen to them first. I believe the Roksan has a different character but it sounds like a great amp. Anyone able to offer any thoughts here?

If it helps, I do like the sound of my current system, it is not too bright or anything, just sounds good, enough bass and still nice at low volumes. I listen mainly to popular/indie/electronic/vocal type music.

Gordon67

Feb 28, 2022
Visit site
What's the fault Gordon?
Maybe don't be too hasty to get rid of something you love....
One of the channels keeps cutting out. So Richer Sounds are offering me a new amp to same value or I can pay extra for a new one, which is only option really as the A29 is discontinued. (The A29 equivalent is the SA 20 but it’s really an upgrade as it’s more expensive than A29 ever was)

D

Deleted member 160668

Get rid of the A29.

This is a common fault on these and is a poor design on the rails. I had one a few years ago. It went back to Arcam twice with the same problem. I did some digging at the time and it was a common issue from what I read.

FYI the A39 and A49 do not have this issue.

Hi folks,

I am going to upgrade my Arcam A29 amp (which I love but has developed a fault). I have an Arcam CDS27 CD player/streamer and Dali Opticon 6 floorstanders (bi-wired). After some research I think I’d like either the Arcam SA20 or the Roksan K3. It’s a long story but I don’t have the option to listen to them first. I believe the Roksan has a different character but it sounds like a great amp. Anyone able to offer any thoughts here?

If it helps, I do like the sound of my current system, it is not too bright or anything, just sounds good, enough bass and still nice at low volumes. I listen mainly to popular/indie/electronic/vocal type music.
I've heard the A29 has issues from others. As a long-term Arcam fanboy, very little comes close within their respective price brackets. The A39 is a very good amp as is my current amp the Leema Pulse. Both probably two of the best below the 2k mark, certainly all the amps I've heard.

I would also consider Creek Evo 50 or 100 as well as Roksan

Reactions: Gordon67

manicm

Hi folks,

If you like the sound of your current system then the SA20 is the logical choice.

Reactions: Gordon67 and Basso

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
I use an SA20. Good little amplifier. Slightly fat bass (compared to Audiolab & Hegel) is my only slight criticism. I am sensitive to bass control though, others may find this a desirable aspect. Works well with bass lighter speakers.

Came down in price recently to under 900 quid but seems have gone up again since.

Audiolabs 6000a is a slightly better balanced amplifier but oddly needs better quality speakers to show off what it can do.

K3 looks decent too but havent heard it. I didnt like its predecessor though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gordon67
I use an SA20. Good little amplifier. Slightly fat bass (compared to Audiolab & Hegel) is my only slight criticism. I am sensitive to bass control though, others may find this a desirable aspect. Works well with bass lighter speakers.

Came down in price recently to under 900 quid but seems have gone up again since.

Audiolabs 6000a is a slightly better balanced amplifier but oddly needs better quality speakers to show off what it can do.

K3 looks decent too but havent heard it. I didnt like its predecessor though.
DM, when you say slightly fat bass is that when it's cranked up or at all volumes?

The reason for asking is the A65 struggled to control the LFs with the knob whacked up.

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
DM, when you say slightly fat bass is that when it's cranked up or at all volumes?

The reason for asking is the A65 struggled to control the LFs with the knob whacked up.

At all volumes. It just adds a bit of heft to bass. Like I said its not unpleasant but I imagine it perhaps could become a little too much of a good thing with underdamped speakers and it's a deviation from neutral. Neither Audiolab or Hegel have this.

At all volumes. It just adds a bit of heft to bass. Like I said its not unpleasant but I imagine it perhaps could become a little too much of a good thing with underdamped speakers and it's a deviation from neutral. Neither Audiolab or Hegel have this.
Fair play. I know most of the DIVA range suffered from this. Lovely sounding but the bass wasn't as taut at higher volume levels.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts