amp upgrade, please help

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I currently have a NAD 320BEE amp and wish to upgrade .

What Amp would you upgrade to if you had a Arcam CD73 cd player, Denon 1800DAB and a set of B & W 685 speakers ?

Hi kestrel,

depending on your budget, I wouldn't look at anything beyond Roksan Kandy LIII. The reason why I say that is because I tried Naim 5I and the combination between the amp & CD player (73T that is) wasn't the greatest.

I have a sneaky feeling that Rotel RA06 will sound good with the B&W's, likewise, Audiolab and Creek (IMO).

A

Anonymous

do you think that an Arcam A70 would be a great enough upgrade ?

A

Anonymous

I haven't listened to it yet, I want to gather some suggestions before I visit some Hifi shops. This way hopefully I can listen to 3 or 4 amps and choose the one I like the sound of most.

matthewpiano

[quote user="Kestrel"]
do you think that an Arcam A70 would be a great enough upgrade ?
[/quote]
Having upgraded from a NAD C325BEE to an A70 I can say that this is a substantial upgrade if you like pin-point imaging, tonal accuracy and a natural sound. The A70 is a superb amplifier but needs careful matching with speakers. I found it too brash with MS902is and a bit woolly with Wharfedale Diamond 8.3+, but absolutely superb with the wideband Tannoy Sensys 1. I would imagine it would work well with your B&Ws but only an audition will tell you for sure. The A70 is a bit of a bargain now as well. Don't pay the full £530 for it now as it is end-of-line and available with some substntial discounts.

If you like the distortions of the NAD (that extra warmth and kick in the bass end) then the Arcam might not be for you, hence the absolute importance of a proper audition.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the advice, there are so many confliting reports/opinions on Arcam amps. You are right I have to listen myself to the amps !

A

Anonymous

A70 now going for £299-£349 now, sounds like a bargain, it will match my CD73 as well.

batonwielder

May 13, 2008
Visit site
Listen to it before you buy, if you can. I personally find the 685's very warm and smooth, so I wouldn't recommend an Arcam amplifier, especially with the CD73 at the source. Try some Rotel's before making a decision, and see how you feel.

A

Anonymous

tried the Arcam cd73 with my NAD C320BEE and it had less clarity than with my NAD 321BEE cd player, once I tried the CD73 with the Arcam A70 it sounder much clearer, so much better balance. I have opted for the A70.

matthewpiano

[quote user="Kestrel"]
tried the Arcam cd73 with my NAD C320BEE and it had less clarity than with my NAD 321BEE cd player, once I tried the CD73 with the Arcam A70 it sounder much clearer, so much better balance. I have opted for the A70.
[/quote]

Sounds like you and I have made pretty much the same change. I've gone from NADC325BEE and C521BEE to Arcam CD73/A70 and I've been trying various different combinations and completely agree that the Arcam duo comes out top. I've had my moments where I thought the Arcam CD and Nad amp was the best combo, but switching back to the A70 snapped everything into focus and more than proved its superiority. When I came home tonight I played 'Dark Side of the Moon' by Pink Floyd, 'Hotel California' by The Eagles and some Diana Krall, and all three albums sounded brilliant. I think the A70 has got much punchier as its run in and it seems to really suit the Tannoys well. Hope you enjoy your new system.

A

Anonymous

I am currently bi wired with qed silver anniversay but have some chord carnival silverscreen single cable, I am going to try both and see what sounds better to me. I also have chord crimson interconnects like you !

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts