Amp & turntable compatibility

delcbr

Mar 12, 2021
Visit site
Iam just about to dive into the world of turntables and separates I think I’ve settled on the Marantz P7000N it says it has phono in compatible with MM.

so would I be right in saying I need a record player that has moving magnet cartridge and doesn’t have a phono stage?

If the turntable has phono stage then I don’t connect to phono In on the amp but instead to line in?

Is it preferable to use the Marantz phono in or use and external pre amp and run to line?

Gray

Iam just about to dive into the world of turntables and separates I think I’ve settled on the Marantz P7000N it says it has phono in compatible with MM.

so would I be right in saying I need a record player that has moving magnet cartridge and doesn’t have a phono stage?

If the turntable has phono stage then I don’t connect to phono In on the amp but instead to line in?

Is it preferable to use the Marantz phono in or use and external pre amp and run to line?
You're completely right.
Marantz have very good inbuilt phono stages.

Reactions: delcbr

camcroft

Yes you are right it will only take MM cartridges. I have a Marantz amp and found that an external phono stage sounded better to me I then connected as you rightly say to another input then you just choose that input on the amp when playing vinyl.

Reactions: delcbr

Gray

True my Marantz amp was a KI version with improved components in its phono stage but; I sold it and subsequently bought a standalone phono stage.
Playing back old CDR recordings (made from the Marantz) only confirms to me how superior the Marantz phono preamp was.
Like every thing else, there will be better and worse components - always better to compare if you can.

Reactions: delcbr and Al ears
You are right on the connection front.
Most budget turntables with inbuilt phono stages tend to have very basic ones fitted and often the phono stage in the amplifier is better.
Having said that money can be well spent on an external phono preamp but this can increase the overall cost of the setup by quite a bit.
In my opinion it is not a good idea to buy a turntable that has an inbuilt phono preamp if you intend buying an amplifier that already has this feature installed.

Reactions: Gray and delcbr

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts