Amp Suggestions for Royd Speakers....

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I've some old Royd Minstrel speakers that I'd like to match with a suitable amp.

The room is small - 4m x 3m and the source will be digital - mostly iTunes type content.

New or second hand is not a problem and ideally not a huge amount of cash but I think I should be able to get a decent sound out of these old speakers.

Thanks

T

the record spot

Ah £260 worth of wonderfulness in a small room friendly package. By all accounts! Never did hear the Royds in person, but only ever heard good things of them. This must be going back about 20 years or so, but they're still spoken of fondly by owners and former owners today. I recall hearing they were very capable and good at producing bass for such a small floorstander, but performed well across the rest of the spectrum too.

What to partner with? Have a look round on Ebay or Gumtree, both can offer some very good amps for very little money and you should find something from NAD, Marantz, Rotel, Yamaha, etc, etc, for very little money that will do a fine job. And yes, you should get a very decent sound out the speaker still.

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
Yeah, great little speakers - they were a little on the bright side (despite the surprisingly low bass they were capable of) so I'd avoid anything too sharp or brittle sounding. A Naim Nait 5 or something would be good, I had them on an Arcam Alpha 10 and that was "ok" - still think it could have been bettered though...

A

Anonymous

Naim are an obvious choice. I know there are a few Royd owners using NVA.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts