amp/speaker match ?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello folks,query downunder,  from the lower end of the spectrum...

I'm thinking of buying a little Arcam Solo Mini (for reasons of price, space, style). It's rated at 25W per channel.  

I've grown attached to a pair of Yamaha bookshelf speakers which are rated at 30 W per channel nominal, 120W max, 88dB sensitivity.

Will theMini drive these speakers ok?  If I do the maths, I come up with a peak level of around 92db, which I know will be regarded as low fi.

However, most of the listening is chamber / jazz / acoustic, small groups. I'm listening at a distance of 3m maximum. With my current system (50W per channel)  the volume control is always less than halfway up, so I'm figuring that with the lower-powered amp, I should be able to crank it up a fair bit and get an 'acceptable' result.

I guess by 'acceptable' I mean not hearing system noise in the quietest passages.

Any views? 

up the music

Mar 13, 2008
Visit site
I think your maths may be out to arrive at a 92dB max at 25w/1m. I'd figure more, even at 3m. Having said that I should do a refresh course and it's silly 'O clock in the morning here.

At any rate it will be noticably quieter than your current system, but not massively. Ideally you need to try to get a home demonstration or at least take your speakers along for a demonstration with your retailer.

If you have more volume available to you at present without distortion you'll be fine with the Solo.

What are the Yammy speakers? Though you've grown attached to them the Solo may prefer a different partner.

I'm sure you'll get more and better responses when Britain wakes up.

A

Anonymous

I think there might possibly be one local retailer who'd be ok with me carting in the Soavo 2s for a demo ÿ(largish bookshelf speakers, very clean to my ears-but then, I was raised on an original bose system). The Soavos are I thinkÿaboutÿ?1000?, less than half that here, part of attachment I guess.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give it a try.

ÿ

A

Anonymous

Soavo 2s ?? Don't even think of the Arcam, they deserve much, much better!

A

Anonymous

Maybe so: what would you recommend, that would cost around the equivalent of the solo mini (repeat, mini)

: ).

A

Anonymous

Thought you'd ask that! I've only heard them with T+A cd/amp separates, which is not what you want.

Cyrus separates, perhaps? Their stuff is small, and is very highly regarded. There's also the Linn Classik Musik, though that's a lot more expensive.

A

Anonymous

Cyrus... I checked... over budget too far.

ÿBut checking closer to home, I found a review which matches the Mini top the Soavos:ÿ

http://www.goodgearguide.com.au/index.php/taxid;139;pid;7102;pt;1;pg;1;pa;4ÿ

way to go.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts