Amp/Speaker advice

GBroo

Sep 28, 2024
Visit site
Hi guys,

I am looking to upgrade my amp and speakers in the near future and am looking for some advice, please. Unfortunately, I moved home (and country) a few years ago and my geographical location now rules out auditioning components as I have done previously, and so it's a little "uncomfortable" figuring out what I want.

The system I am looking too replace is quite old and on the lower end of the budget scale - Yamaha A-S500 and Monitor Audio BX2 Bronze bookshelf speakers. This combo has that "sparkle" which I didn't get from the others I auditioned, and so I am looking to keep that kind of sound.

I am running a Cambridge Audio CXN (V2) as my source and am interested in pairing it with a CXA81 MkII.

I had considered the Arcam A15, but I just can't stand the way it looks - this might sound ridiculous to some, but there's definitely a visual asthetic that I am looking to go for (I'm a bit OCD), and the Arcam is just not for me... the CXA81 MkII matches the CXN (V2) and I am keen to go with that for that reason (and it still sounds to be a great amp in it's own right).

Onto the speakers... I am looking for some floorstand speakers this time around. Would the Cambridge pairing work well with the Q Acoustics 5040 or 5050? I note they can be tricky to pair with components and I couldn't find any specific reviews online. The room the current system is in is fairly large, so shouldn't be any issues there.

Or would I be safer going with the Wharfdale 12.3s...? Am I right in thinking these are lower on the budget scale to pair with a £1k amp?

If people don't have any experience of the above combinations, would anybody have any other speaker recommendations, please?

Last edited:

Integralista

Feb 9, 2024
Visit site
Hi GBroo, I think you have preselected a very good system including your CA streamer. This is natural partner for CA amp CXA 81mk 1 or 2 with Q Acoustics 5040 or 5050. If your room is larger, take version 5050, you will not regret.

Reactions: Al ears

ijohn

Jan 17, 2024
Visit site
In that $1,000 integrated amp price range, I can say I've been very pleased with my Yamaha R-N800A. I cross-shopped it against most of the major players, including Cambridge. The difference maker for me was the loudness feature (which I didn't end up using) and YPAO (which I use every time). With my very challenging room set-up, the YPOA is a game-changer. If your current room is compromised, or if you may be moving again soon to a who-knows-what listening environment, I'd take a hard look at the Yamaha. Particularly since you already like the Yamaha sound.

The Q Acoustics sounds like a great choice. In that range, I'd also consider the KLH Model 3. (Like the 5040, a Stereophile Class B 2024 Recommended Component.) Especially if KLH puts the pair on sale for $999/pair like they did last Christmas! Again, depending on your room, or what may be your room in the future, the KLH may have an advantage as their acoustic reflex design is likely going to be more forgiving than the rear-ported 5040's if they have to be positioned close to the rear wall.

Cheers and happy shopping!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts