Amp(s) for Monopulse model S

fatman

Nov 11, 2007
Visit site
Have searched the forum for similar previous posts and found a few of the regular posters to have heard/owned these speakers. PP mentions the Nait 5i pairing was pretty special and Voodoo ran with a Leema.

Are there any other suggestions of amps to seek out or pointers of what didn't work out? Am pretty keen to explore the world of valve amps and although I warm to the idea of having some tubes to look at I think a hybrid might be more practical. Maybe that little Marantz box of tricks does them justice? How does it compare with the Leema Voodoo?

Hoping there is some discussion on different types of amplifier with these speakers as from digging around it seems there are some great deals to be had on 2nd hand / ex-demo Monopulse. My wife loves the look of them too. Bonus!

This current fascination started after reading Omnibeard's recent Monopulse and Croft experience. Cheers! :roll:

VoodooDoctor

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
The Marantz performs well with the Monopulse's. It goes plenty loud and sounds good. I use the combination mostly for radio and occasionally for Airplay when we have guests to provide background music so not for really "critical" listening.

I don't really think that it is fair to compare it to the Leema Tucana, which is (and should be through price) in a different league. When driving the Monopulse's, it played to their strengths of spot-on timing and gave the sound real weight. They did make a good match.

I think Monopulse speakers are neglected as a brand. They get good reviews but aren't on most people's radar when out auditioning. I considered buying a surround set but was put off by their looks and I really wanted the MA Platinums with their ribbon tweeter. Call me fickle!

VoodooDoctor said:
I think Monopulse speakers are neglected as a brand. They get good reviews but aren't on most people's radar when out auditioning. I considered buying a surround set but was put off by their looks and I really wanted the MA Platinums with their ribbon tweeter. Call me fickle!

Absolutely bang on! They are fabulous and I try and mention them as often as possible, but they are let down by their looks. Not everyone wants a cloth-covered speaker - or a retina-shattering colours.

fatman

Nov 11, 2007
Visit site
Thanks both. Going to get hold of the speakers and keep an eye out for used / ex-demo amps. As mentioned in the first post I'm drawn to experimenting with valve amps but not sure I'll find the timing/punch that the amps you have mentioned appear to deliver. Plenty tinkering to be had.

fatman said:
Thanks both. Going to get hold of the speakers and keep an eye out for used / ex-demo amps. As mentioned in the first post I'm drawn to experimenting with valve amps but not sure I'll find the timing/punch that the amps you have mentioned appear to deliver. Plenty tinkering to be had.

Wouldn't look at budget amps TBH. They'll need a punchy amp hence why I've mentioned the Creek Evo2 and Roksan Kandy.

I'd personally avoid Arcam, unless you're going top of tree model (A38 or older A32). If you look at Marantz it has to be either the 8003 or Pearl Lite IMHO.

fatman

Nov 11, 2007
Visit site
Cheers Hoops. Your post led me to delving into the different general characteristics of EL34 & KT88 .... interesting, certainly helps with some kind of direction.

Think some more research. Speakers first! Your pre/power is intriguing.

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Well it does also depend on the amp, i had a consonance.cyber 10se usb SET KT88 amp and it was great in the midrange but lacked any drive in the bass. The Audion is a different beast, KT88 or KT120 as well as EL34 and it does very well in the bass department. The EL34 do tend to soften the bass slightly in exchange for midrange and treble smoothness and 'magic'.

The decware zen i had did really well in everything, even the bass attack and punch, just missed out on bass depth, that was a 1.5w SV83 (6p15p-ev) SET.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts