AMP power for KEF LS50

L00k_C

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
Merry Christmas to everyone..

I would like to know what is the minumum or more appropriate amplifier power tha the KEF LS50's need to be driven smoothly.

I am between a Creek 5350 (125w at 8ohms) and CYPRUS 6XPS (just 40w at 8 ohms)....... I usually listen to my music at high levels......

Is it always the more powerful the better to drive them?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
L00k_C said:
Is it always the more powerful the better to drive them?

Merry Christmas to you as well.

That is a little simplistic. If an amp can produce lots of current, then the Watt rating is less important. Look out for its power into 8 Ohms and into 4 Ohms, or even 2 Ohms. An amp with a really good power supply will double it's power as impedance halves.....though Valve amps usually don't work like this.

Crossie

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Kef LS50's are relatively small standmounters with a low 85dB sensitivity. If you want loud then perhaps a larger more sensitive speaker may be better. Both amps are very good, the Creek has plenty of omph but lacks the detail of the Cyrus. Lots of choices at this price level, take your time, listen to lots of options.

zarathz

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi All,

I am looking to buy a new set-up in the next week or so, and the Kef LS50's sound pretty impressive. The fellow at the store recommended the Brio-R as a good integrated receiver, but I'm not sure if it will be powerful enough to fully bring out the Kefs. I'm rather new to the audiophile scene. Anybody have any thoughts? Oh, I should say that moeny is an issue, but I could stump for a pricier amp if that was needed.

A

Anonymous

IMO the BrioR has more than enough power to run the KEF LS50's but the KEF R100s are more better suited as they seem to manage the Brio R's power better.

To get the best out of the LS50's then more powerful amps would be needed for normal listening levels and some loud levels; the BrioR suffices.

It's really horses for courses so get some demoing done and see what you think suits what best :)

jjbomber

I heard the LS50s powered by a Heed Obelisk amp, rated at 35wpc. I was 25 feet away and it was plenty loud enough. I would suggest that you listen to the Creek, Cyrus and whatever else is on your list. You will be surprised.

The more powerful is better but the watts figures are normally a joke anyway. Until they bring in a universal way of measuring, the figures are just misleading.

zarathz

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the advice. I'll listen to a few amps and figure out what pairing works well. While I normally listen to classical and jazz, I also delve into the deep house, so a sub may be necessary. Will report back what the system ends up looking like!

A

Anonymous

Since this thread is already there, and I had the same question, but with a particular amp in mind:

would the Marantz pm7004 be suited to drive the LS50s? Would this work in a somewhat larger room? (say 28 sqm?)

From what I understand Marantz and Kef go well together, and the pm7004 is powerful enough, but I'm not an expert..

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Do you have the Kefs already?

I have read an article about amps and it says really you need at least 100W for domestic listening even at low volumes because otherwise the sounds will be clipped. If you don't have your speakers yet I would seriously consider hearing some active speakers first before deciding.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
BigH said:
I have read an article about amps and it says really you need at least 100W for domestic listening even at low volumes because otherwise the sounds will be clipped.

First I've heard of it, sounds like utter hogwash to me.

According to the Crown amplifier power calculator, if you are sat 3 metres from 85db speakers, and want to to listen at 85db with the ability to hear 15db peaks without clipping, you need 285 watts. http://www.crownaudio.com/elect-pwr-req.htm

85db is the same volume as city traffic from inside your car. You would need 90 watts using the above example to achieve an average of 80db with 15db peaks. 80db is the same as a telephone dial tone. http://www.gcaudio.com/resources/howtos/loudness.html

Does it seem any less like utter hogwash now?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Craig M. said:
The_Lhc said:
BigH said:
I have read an article about amps and it says really you need at least 100W for domestic listening even at low volumes because otherwise the sounds will be clipped.

First I've heard of it, sounds like utter hogwash to me.

According to the Crown amplifier power calculator, if you are sat 3 metres from 85db speakers, and want to to listen at 85db with the ability to hear 15db peaks without clipping, you need 285 watts. http://www.crownaudio.com/elect-pwr-req.htm

85dB/w is a pretty low sensitivity speaker though.

85db is the same volume as city traffic from inside your car.

That doesn't seem to match up with THX's reference level guidelines:

THX Certified Receivers reproduce studio Reference Level, 85dB SPL with 20dB of headroom.

which the same page describes as "Reference Level—it is often too loud for your neighbors." which would seem to be quite a bit louder than city traffic from inside your car.

I've heard a THX system running at 0dB on the volume scale, I like it loud but I'd never want to listen to anything at that level.

Does it seem any less like utter hogwash now?

If I'm honest, no. I have heard a lot of people mention that a "normal" listening levels most amps are putting out no more than a few watts of power though. I guess it depends on your definition of "normal" though.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
If I'm honest, no. I have heard a lot of people mention that a "normal" listening levels most amps are putting out no more than a few watts of power though. I guess it depends on your definition of "normal" though.

In the main, 'normal' levels are only using a few watts - until a peak comes along. The peaks need massively more power if they are to be heard unclipped. If you only listen to heavily compressed pop, you don't need much power, the more dynamic the recording, the more power needed.

Unfortunately, as I believe someone else said earlier in the thread, I don't think manufacturers power ratings are a good indicator of an amps 'real world' power. Take Cno's amp as an example, 35 watts but with massive dynamic bursts, then compare that to the Cyrus amp mentioned at the beginning of the thread.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Yes agree about amps w ratings, should be in volts I think to give a truer indication of power.

In response to OP If you listen to yoyr music at high levels it makes sense to get a high powered amp.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
BigH said:
In response to OP If you listen to yoyr music at high levels it makes sense to get a high powered amp.

......or a lower power amp, that can double its power as impedance halves.

The secret is to check the power into 4 Ohms as well as 8 Ohms. If it quotes power into 2 Ohms, you have a very stable amp.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts