Not long ago, a purchased a vintage marantz pm451. I am temporarely using it with a pair of aiwa speakers till i buy new ones. The problem is that the amp (most likely) stops for about half a second or less and there is no sound at all. I know that the amp does not shut down and turn on again because it would take more time. I would say that the temperature on the top of the amp is about 40-50 C (100-120F). So does anybody have a clue about what is going on? Could it be something else?

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Georgesk Dagalis said:
Not long ago, a purchased a vintage marantz pm451. I am temporarely using it with a pair of aiwa speakers till i buy new ones. The problem is that the amp (most likely) stops for about half a second or less and there is no sound at all. I know that the amp does not shut down and turn on again because it would take more time. I would say that the temperature on the top of the amp is about 40-50 C (100-120F). So does anybody have a clue about what is going on? Could it be something else?

I'd suspect some kind of protection circuitry tripping, but 'half a second or less' sounds too short for that. Are you sure it's the amp that's 'pausing' and not whatever you have connected to it to play the music?

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Georgesk Dagalis said:
its a pc...i didn 't have any problem with my pc speakers

In which case, unless the PC output is either clipping the amp's input stage (which is unlikely) or inhecting some electrical noise into the amp (which is almost as unlikely, but just possible), I'd suggest an intermittent solder joint in the amp, which 'opens up' with heat and then just as quickly connects again when signal isn't being passed.

However, the brevity of the interruption a) is rather unusual and b) is going to make the probem a devil to diagnose.

Sorry I can't be more help.

TRENDING THREADS