amp or speakers

cse

Mar 3, 2008
Visit site
I want to improve the sound of my hifi. What would you recomend upgrading first - either my roksan caspian amp or bw cdm1se speakers. I run a densen cd player at present and am flexible on budjet.

A

Anonymous

Speakers. The biggest difference is always speakers.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="raypalmer"]Speakers. The biggest difference is always speakers.[/quote]
I concur!

T

the record spot

What kind of sound do you want to have? What is it from your present set up that is missing to achieve this? Both amp and speakers you mentioned were well rated. Perhaps if you gave an indication of that, people could make a better shot at your query?

T

the record spot

[quote user="raypalmer"]Speakers. The biggest difference is always speakers.[/quote]

I disagree; I changed my amp to the present one I have (listed below) and the difference was night and day from its' predecessor. The speakers have been constants, but by far and away it's a stretch of the imagination to only think that the biggest difference I could've made was to change the speakers.

John Duncan

[quote user="the record spot"][quote user="raypalmer"]Speakers. The biggest difference is always speakers.[/quote]

I disagree; I changed my amp to the present one I have (listed below) and the difference was night and day from its' predecessor. The speakers have been constants, but by far and away it's a stretch of the imagination to only think that the biggest difference I could've made was to change the speakers.
[/quote]

I agree with the previous posters, though it does require a certain minimum standard from your other components - given your system now, I'd expect that, for example, changing your player or amp would give you marginal benefits, while speakers would give you big ones. Agreed though that you need to have the first two sorted in the first place.

Edit - this was specifically to record spot, as opposed to the OP, but my view stands for him as well.

cse

Mar 3, 2008
Visit site
Thanks guys. So what speakers to you recommend... I like fairly warm, yet detailed sound, able to deal with complex music.. I particularly don't like over gright components as they tend to make listening an exhausting experience.

Also Eglebert, what do you think of those spendor speakers. Why didn'yt you buy the dedicated stands as well. How much did they cost?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="cse"]
Thanks guys. So what speakers to you recommend... I like fairly warm, yet detailed sound, able to deal with complex music.. I particularly don't like over gright components as they tend to make listening an exhausting experience.

Also Eglebert, what do you think of those spendor speakers. Why didn'yt you buy the dedicated stands as well. How much did they cost?
[/quote]
I would certainly add the Spendors to your auditioning list but be warned, they don't go deep. They provide an excellent balance of sound and apparently don't quite follow the classic Spendor sound of being very warm but have a bit more verve. They are lightening fast and the sound stage is very crisp and focused with masses of detail; the sort of stuff you'd expect for the cash. I can't get enough of them but they might not suit your req'ts. They suck up a lot of amp power too so 60W of decent power is a minimum! A Capsian should be good.

If I had to sum them up then I'd describe them as fast, natural, nimble, punchy, open and balanced. A sub is recommended.

I didn't buy the dedicated stands because of the total cost. They're rather expensive at £400 and I might consider them later on. I'm still not convinced by them yet.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts