Amp Match for SpendorS5es

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Most of the time my existing set up is ok, if a little cold but occassionaly can be harsh, particularily at the top end. It is the same old problem wanting surround sound for movies as well as good hi fi when listening to music. I am happy enough with surround sound side of thing. Music orientated kit is Cambridge Audio in the form of Azur 640C V2' Azur 640R and Dac Magic (bought to go with music stored on NAS) played through the Spendor S5es.

I am considering getting a dedicated stereo amp to connect to the pre-outs on the 640R. Budget restrictions will apply as I have only recently negotiated upgrade to Blue Ray (Panasonic DMP-BD55), new TV, NAS (for music storage) and Cambridge Audio Dac Magic.

There are deals arround it seems on two What HiFi favourites, Previous version of Rocksan Kandy and Cyrus8vs2. Also I have seen an ex demo Nait 5i which I am hopeful I could stretch to. The Cyrus would be the easiest to accomadate as it could share a shelf on the Rack with the Dac Magic.

All types of music need to be catered for, as background, serious listening and partying.

I would be glad to hear what anybody has to say, and possibly other suggestions.

respe

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
I use S5e's, and the last thing I would describe them as is harsh, even with the volume really pushed. They are more normally classed as laid back. I have not got a clue how they would combine into a AV set up, but I enjoy mine with Rega Amplification, and may be a Mira would fall into your budget. I have heard them on the end of Marantz amps, and providing the amps had enough power to drive them properly it resulted in a a smoother overall sound balance than with the Rega's, just not as much energy. The Nait 5i would also be a nice fit with the Spendors, but again, I don't know how it would work in a AV system.

SteveR750

I have a Kandy K2 and S6e's - harsh it most certainly isn't. Laid back is a much more apt description, though it has plenty of excitement for my ears. I use both to watch DVD's from a basic Toshiba upscaling X500 player, and pretty impressive it is too.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The S5e's should sound anything but harsh. The only time they'll sound harsh is if they're forced to cope with more than they've been designed for, and if that's the case, then a larger speaker, or a more powerful speaker is recommended. But unless you listen to pretty high volumes, I'm guessing the CA's are the culprits. personally, I don't think you'll gain a whole lot from the two you mention. I think you need to be looking at the next step in integrated amps, or even pre/powers. You'll need to be looking at the Naim XS or Naim 122x/150x pre/power. You may think the Naim pre/power is a little pricey, but keep your eyes open - new models loom, so these may be available at slightly reduced prices.

TRENDING THREADS