amp left channel louder than right at low volume normal?

georgescookie

May 17, 2015
Visit site
Hi everyone,

Is it normal for a 2 channel amp to have the left channel ever-so-slightly louder than the right when the amps volume dial is really low, say at 7 o'clock or should it be 50/50 at all volumes?

When the volume dial is gradually increased slowly, say from 7.30 ownwards its starts to balance out and sounds fine.

Its the same with all sources, switching the speakers around makes no difference and cables are all fine too.

The amp is a Marantz PM8005 and sounds great otherwise, my normal listening levels are around 9 o'clock onwards anyway so is not a major issue for me but is this something to be worried about?

Thanks for your feedback.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
georgescookie said:
Hi everyone,

Is it normal for a 2 channel amp to have the left channel ever-so-slightly louder than the right when the amps volume dial is really low, say at 7 o'clock or should it be 50/50 at all volumes?

When the volume dial is gradually increased slowly, say from 7.30 ownwards its starts to balance out and sounds fine.

Its the same with all sources, switching the speakers around makes no difference and cables are all fine too.

The amp is a Marantz PM8005 and sounds great otherwise, my normal listening levels are around 9 o'clock onwards anyway so is not a major issue for me but is this something to be worried about?

Thanks for your feedback.

Well, its quite common but I wouldn't call it normal. Neither is it very desirable but analoge volume pots sometimes have slight offset.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Hi ive had the same with my roksan k2

Its even worse if you use the volume knob and not the remote control as there is play in the knob.

What really annoyed me i thought my amp was out of balance and was swapping cables and rcas and all by advice from roksan. When all it was, was the low volume setting - very noticeable at low volumes then balances out after a slight turn up

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts