Amp for Tannoy Precision 6.2?

wilsmusic

Nov 14, 2009
Visit site
Hi all

i have taken advantage of the richer sounds sale and availed myself of the Tannoy Precision 6.2's.

I have heard these a couple of times over the last year or so in 2 different showrooms and love their staging and imaging qualities. They are a big step up from my current Quad 21L2's.

i am not so certain though that my cyrus amplification is the best match for these speakers and their titanium tipped tweeters in particular. I currently have a prevs2 running two smartpowers.

I am still awaiting delivery of the 6.2's and certainly intend to give my current amplification a couple of weeks to run them in before thinking about a change.

In the meantime would appreciate the views of anyone else with these speakers?

thanks.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
I think you pulled the trigger too soon getting the Tannoys.

The quads are capable speakers with better amplification - googled the smartpower rated at about 60watt.

Cyrus make quality kit but don't do 'power' in my experience.

If possible test the quads with better amps - you may be surprised.

With a budget of £700 you have options. Me thinks you are pointing in the wrong direction regards your upgrading.

wilsmusic

Nov 14, 2009
Visit site
Hi there,

interesting point and I will definitely test them out next to the quads.

i agree that the quads are good speakers, I have had them from new for three years and enjoyed them a lot.

the smartpowere's i have are running in mono mode, so they are actually rated at 110 watts, but I do agree that they are more about finesse than pure power.

thanks

wilsmusic

Nov 14, 2009
Visit site
Thanks Plastic Penguin

came very, very close to purchasing that Arcam on impulse yesterday!

I have owned an Alpha 10/p9 combination in the past and that system had real power but lacked insight. I am guessing the newer Arcam amps have improved in that regard? It is certainly a route I might go down if my Cyrus Amps don't pan out with the Tannoys.

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
Tannoy Precision 6.2 vs B&W 683 s2

Hi everyone, I thought I might hijack the post.. :)

Has anyone ever auditioned these Tannoy Precision 6.2 with the Kandy K2 integrated amp?

I own a Kandy K2 for a while and love it, and was set on buying B&W 683 s2 speakers in December after having an audition with the Roksan. Being honest I was very content with the B&Ws without being overawed.

I have been advised to go for the Tannoys instead. I do realise they are two completely different sets of speakers but am unable to find a place where I can actually hear the Tannoy Precision 6.2 with my Roksan (Dublin).

I am tempted to buy on the blind as richer sounds have a return policy but would love to hear from anyone who may have experience with this combination, or anyone who might be able to compare the B&W 683s2 to the Tannoy Precision 6.2 *stop* .

The Tannoys would have been out of my budget up until now but at 999 they are cheaper than the B&Ws.

Thanks folks,

P

wilsmusic said:
Thanks Plastic Penguin

came very, very close to purchasing that Arcam on impulse yesterday!

I have owned an Alpha 10/p9 combination in the past and that system had real power but lacked insight. I am guessing the newer Arcam amps have improved in that regard? It is certainly a route I might go down if my Cyrus Amps don't pan out with the Tannoys.

The Alpha range in general lacked a little transparncy in the soundstage, although the 10 was a class leader in its day.

The newer Arcams (A32 and A38) will give you that more open sound. I've always found that Arcam has a solidity the Cyrus could never match. The Cyrus, IMHO, will give you an 'instant impact', whereas the Arcam is more of a keeper over longer listening sessions - it appreciates beeter over time.

wilsmusic

Nov 14, 2009
Visit site
Hi there

i am really enjoying my 6.2's. For 999 they are a big step up the n my quads. The main improvements are in imaging, clarity and separation of component instruments...much less wall of sound.

I owned the K2 for a while and no reason why it won't work well with the Tannoys

Haven't heard the BMW's though.

philpot1001

May 28, 2015
Visit site
Anyone else out there using the Precision 6.2's? I have been kinda eyeballing these, and saw some in gloss, they look lovely.....what has me interested however is the theoretical bass and soundstage performance, two of the main criteria i am after in a speaker to replace my Missions - that and an improvement in midrange, which a 3 way should give me. Although i havent heard any yet.....Would be interested in hearing owners opinions (pro's and cons) or anyone thats demo'd them!

philpot1001

May 28, 2015
Visit site
Not sure how "smooth" my new Marantz amp is yet as not had a chance to spend a lot of time with it, from what ive heard its pretty neutral, so shouldnt sound too sibilant i wouldnt have thought......only way is to test it out i guess.

splasher

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
philpot1001 said:
Anyone else out there using the Precision 6.2's? I have been kinda eyeballing these, and saw some in gloss, they look lovely.....what has me interested however is the theoretical bass and soundstage performance,

I have a set of 6.2s and a set of 6.1s and the soundstaging is exceptional in my opinion. The bass of the 6.2s is good for speakers of their size. I have them in gloss walnut and they are a thing of beauty as you say.

The only thing I would say about that generation of tannoy dual concentrics is experiment with the toe-in once you get them run in. The treble varies dramatically as you toe them in and out? For my personal taste they are too bright pointing straight at me, but facing straight forward, I think they are exceptional.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts