Amp for Spendor A6 speakers, Stay with Cyrus or move elsewhere

chasefrench

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Previously I used a setup that contained Quad 12L speakers, biamped and biwired with a Cyrus 8vs and Cyrus 8 power. Last year, I sold the Quads and purchased the Spendors. My setup was not able to bi-wire given the single speakers inputs on the spendors, so for the last year, I used the 8vs as a pre-amp and 8 power as a power. This setup has certainly been an improvement over the quads, but I have certainly missed the extra dynamism of the bi-amped quad setup. What do I think I should do as an upgrade path? I am selling the 8vs anyway this evening. Should I get pre-xpd and do a proper pre/power? Or should I also sell the 8 power and put the money toward something completely different? If so what? I would love everyones opinions because I want to get the best out of my spendors, I dont think I ve properly heard them yet!

chasefrench said:
Previously I used a setup that contained Quad 12L speakers, biamped and biwired with a Cyrus 8vs and Cyrus 8 power. Last year, I sold the Quads and purchased the Spendors. My setup was not able to bi-wire given the single speakers inputs on the spendors, so for the last year, I used the 8vs as a pre-amp and 8 power as a power. This setup has certainly been an improvement over the quads, but I have certainly missed the extra dynamism of the bi-amped quad setup. What do I think I should do as an upgrade path? I am selling the 8vs anyway this evening. Should I get pre-xpd and do a proper pre/power? Or should I also sell the 8 power and put the money toward something completely different? If so what? I would love everyones opinions because I want to get the best out of my spendors, I dont think I ve properly heard them yet!

Hi chasefrench

What source component/s, interconnects and speakers cables are you using?

What do you generally listen to?

The size of your room?

Your general listening level?

Your budget

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

chasefrench

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
The room is not large at all, (I live in Hong Kong)

The source material is flac files -> Asus Xonar Essence STX card

That used to feed a digital signal to a Music Fidelity Dac which unfortunately recently broke, planned purchase is the audiolab MDAC. If the cyrus pre xpd is purchased, I do not plan to use the DAC inside.

All interconnects are Van Den Hul D102 mk3

Speaker Cable is QED Revelation.

Given the large upgrade price of taking the 8 power to the X power and the small increase in RRP, it makes more sense to sell the 8 power and buy the X power new. I take it from the responses this will be a big step up.

However, I have used cyrus for around 7 years now and very keen to hear what the rest of you use. Very interested in the Caspian M2 and will certainly give this a listen. But the fact it doesnt have the upgrade path that cyrus has, psx-r, mono xs etc is a concern.

Thanks for your responses and if there are any other suggestions then I would love to hear them

chasefrench

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I listen to everything from rock to hip hop to reggae and drum and bass.

I appreciate detail and precision but cannot sound to harsh, which the cyrus 8vs can do with certain material. I loved my old quads because they the mid-treble could be rather emotional

respe

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
I have the A6's an the end of Rega amplification (Cursa Exon) and the spens do like something driving them with current and damping factor to spare. I am not sure of the price area you are looking at, but have heard the A6's sounding very good, but different on the receiving end of output from a Bryston integrated (B100) Rega elicit, Sugden IA4, and Naim supernait. I would find a few dealers and let your ears guide your wallet.

SteveR750

chasefrench said:
The room is not large at all, (I live in Hong Kong)

The source material is flac files -> Asus Xonar Essence STX card

That used to feed a digital signal to a Music Fidelity Dac which unfortunately recently broke, planned purchase is the audiolab MDAC. If the cyrus pre xpd is purchased, I do not plan to use the DAC inside.

All interconnects are Van Den Hul D102 mk3

Speaker Cable is QED Revelation.

Given the large upgrade price of taking the 8 power to the X power and the small increase in RRP, it makes more sense to sell the 8 power and buy the X power new. I take it from the responses this will be a big step up.

However, I have used cyrus for around 7 years now and very keen to hear what the rest of you use. Very interested in the Caspian M2 and will certainly give this a listen. But the fact it doesnt have the upgrade path that cyrus has, psx-r, mono xs etc is a concern.

Thanks for your responses and if there are any other suggestions then I would love to hear them

Mine too. The old M1 could be had as a pre and 2 x mono pwer configuration, but the M2 is limited to bi-amping only. If the M2 power amp section was bridgeable I would have got a matching bridged power amp

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
I'm currently running a pair of A6 from a Leema Pulse III. Worth a listen along with the Elements if Leema is available in HK.

A

Anonymous

My SA1s are powered by Densen amplification, and I've had a good experience with S3/5s (r2?) running off a Primare I30. Going by general nature, Roksan should be a good match too, but I've never heard it.

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I have SA1 powered by a Quad pre and Cyrus mono's. Sounds amazing.

Demo's the A6 with Cyrus pre/power. Mono power, not sure what ones.

They sounded incredible through the entire audio spectrum.

The beauty of Cyrus as you say is the upgrade potential.

X-Power, then get a second X-Power for mono blocks & so on.

For the same final cost though after adding PSX's you can get some amazing integrated amps or other pre/power combo's. But, £3000.00 or more is a lot to spend in one go. With Cyrus you can add to it a bit at a time.

Only real way do decide is to demo some amps against the end result with all the Cyrus kit.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
tremon said:
My SA1s are powered by Densen amplification, and I've had a good experience with S3/5s (r2?) running off a Primare I30. Going by general nature, Roksan should be a good match too, but I've never heard it.

Densen make great sounding amps which often go under the radar.

chasefrench

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for all the responses. Have just managed to come across a second hand site in Hong Kong with some incredible amps going for amazingly cheap prices.

Just saw a Plinius 9200 which I would love go for the equivalent of 1300 GBP

Lyngdorf TDAI-2200 for the equivalent of 1500GBP

Bladelius Thor Mk2 for the equivalent of 1300 GBP

All of these, I always assumed I could never afford but am now getting excited.

If you can read chinese the site is, www.review33.com

Have already put the 8 power on sale and with the prices I m seeing, hoping I can liquidate the Cyrus setup and pull off a massive upgrade for almost no outlay. Will post back with what happens.

Hi chasefrench

Nice one :) Don't know about the Lyngdorf of the Bladelius (look impressive though) however if you can get a Plinius 9200 (particularly for £1300) then you're in for a treat :grin: Not only will the 9200's single chassis reduce signal and mains cabling but the 9200's greater quantity/quality of power and overall peformance will help the 9200 to grip, drive and energize your Spendor speakers far more effectively at almost any comparable level.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

chasefrench

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Rick or anyone,

Thanks for the info, have you heard the plinius 9100 also? is there much of a difference between this and the 9200. It must still be trully superior to anything else at the 1300 price level first hand?

Thank you

chasefrench said:
Rick or anyone,

Thanks for the info, have you heard the plinius 9100 also? is there much of a difference between this and the 9200. It must still be trully superior to anything else at the 1300 price level first hand?

Thank you

Hi chasefrench

As good as the Plinius 9100 is however the 9100 lacks the flexibility/connectivity of the 9200. The 9100 also does not have the level of resolution or the quantity and quality of power of the 9200.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

chasefrench

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
So in response to the last few messages, thought I d manage to update every one on what happened. managed to sell the cyrus boxes and old speaker wire for about 1100GBP. Then managed to get a mint Plinius 9200 for 1200 GBP, an Audiolab MDAC for about 525 GBP and 2x 4m metres of QED XT-400.

Considering the size of this upgrade, I am a very very happy but if I had spent the retail prices of these products I cant help but think I d be a little underwhelmed. It is noticeably better but not overwhelmingly. I made this upgrade because I felt the Spendor A6s probably deserved more power and better amplification to really let them sing. But now am thinking they may just sound a little too relaxed for my taste. I remember I found my Quad 12ls thrilling.

Respect to Cyrus though. when you listen to Plinius, you realise how good they cyrus stuff is for its price range

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
chasefrench said:
Respect to Cyrus though. when you listen to Plinius, you realise how good they cyrus stuff is for its price range

A point that I try and make whenever I can, mainly because there's plenty of people out there who will slate a brand based on what they've read, which isn't usually based on direct experience. And those that have experience may well be basing it on older models, which are now irrelevant and non representative :)

chasefrench

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Got the upgrade bug now...

Have been reading up on the ATC SCM 40s all afternoon. Will give it a couple more months but think with the current setup if I m still not utterly convinced by the spendors they probably are not right for me.

On another point, its about time realised an itunes competitor with remastered quality FLAC. The difference in sound between a badly produced cd and a good one is enormous and frustrating. This competitor also needs to sell the songs with volume normalised. Its annoying to have to adjust the volumne in almost every song

SteveR750

Give the ProAc D18 a listen too, similar to some of the positive traits of the A6, but I suspect more lively. I have not heard the A6, but the D18 is in a different league to the ougoing spendor predecessor (S6e)

chasefrench said:
Got the upgrade bug now...

Have been reading up on the ATC SCM 40s all afternoon. Will give it a couple more months but think with the current setup if I m still not utterly convinced by the spendors they probably are not right for me.

Hi chasefrench

Nice one 8) Plinius amplification works well with ATC monitors :) Fwiw, i feel SCM40's are probably the VFM passive speakers currently available on the market regardless of price.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Given your concern about your current setup is it sounding a little too relaxed, plinius and ATC could prove an ideal combination for you :) Plenty of bite and attack, whilst retaining poise and detail.

rocketride

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
poldo said:
Try Spendor a6 with the Exposure 3010s2 integr. (or pre / pro), lots of power and nice match.

I agree. Spendor A6's sound great with Exposure 3010S2! :clap: A friend of mine has a 3010S2 pre/power combo + 3010s2 CD plyer. The sound is superb. Truly all round system.

btw, Poldo I saw 2010s2 DAC in your sig. How does it sound? Is it better as a stand alone DAC then 2010s2/3010s2 CD Player? Did you compare it with any other DAC in similar prce range like audiolab M DAC, Young DAC (a bit costlier).... ect.

Thanx!

Rocket :wave:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts