Amp for Marantz cd63mk2KI and Mission 782SE Speakers

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am looking for any recommendations for an amp to match my system. I have picked up an ION Obelisk 100 amp on ebay cheaply but am now wondering if this is good enough to go with my amp and speakers. I must admit it does sound good though but want to make sure i am maximising my systems potential.

I have seen Arcam a85 going for around £280 and Roksan Ka-1 mk3 for around the same. My maximum spend is £300. Would these be a better choice for my system or is there something else i should be looking at. I listen to R&B, Dance, Soul, Male/Female vocalists ie George Michael,Mariah Carey etc.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Rob

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the input much appreciated.

Does anyone know anything about the ION Obelisk 100. All i know is it is 60 watts per channel but sounds more powerful than that. The person i bought it from commented about how much had been put into this amp when he opened it up to have a look inside and seems to think it must have been quite an expensive amp in its time.

Would love to know how much these sold for back in the day and if anyone has any experience with this amp.

Thanks Rob

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the input much appreciated.

Does anyone know anything about the ION Obelisk 100. All i know is it is 60 watts per channel but sounds more powerful than that. The person i bought it from commented about how much had been put into this amp when he opened it up to have a look inside and seems to think it must have been quite an expensive amp in its time.

Would love to know how much these sold for back in the day and if anyone has any experience with this amp.

Thanks Rob

Sliced Bread

I used to have 782's. They are great speakers, so the se's must be pretty special. I have heard them with Arcam amps before (cannot remember models) and the 782's sound excellent. But the sound is quite relaxing, so while it is my tastes, it may not be yours. My dad on the other hand has the Roksan you speak of and it is a great amp. I have not heard the two together, but they are said (by other 782 users) to be a great match. The 782's need to be shown the whip, while the Roksan is more than capable if delivering it. So two good options there!

george1309 said:
I am looking for any recommendations for an amp to match my system. I have picked up an ION Obelisk 100 amp on ebay cheaply but am now wondering if this is good enough to go with my amp and speakers. I must admit it does sound good though but want to make sure i am maximising my systems potential.

I have seen Arcam a85 going for around £280 and Roksan Ka-1 mk3 for around the same. My maximum spend is £300. Would these be a better choice for my system or is there something else i should be looking at. I listen to R&B, Dance, Soul, Male/Female vocalists ie George Michael,Mariah Carey etc.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Rob

Hi Rob

I know the CD63KI MK2, 782SE's and A85 well as i used to deal with these components. I wouldn't recommend the A85. Instead i'll highly recommend the superb NAD C370 or Rotel's RA-1062. Both of these amplifiers are usually available on the used market around £300.

Btw, i don't deal with used components.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Thanks for all of your replies. Certainly has given me something to think about.

I have been told that my ION Obelisk 100 is a bit of a special amp and that my CD player is probably my weakest link.

I am gobsmacked that the amp is so highly rated i picked this up for £95 on ebay what a result!! Another one of these went for £225 2 weeks previously on ebay europe.
smiley-laughing.gif

I have not actually sat down with the whole system yet as the amp has not been connected to the Mission 782se's yet.

I cannot wait until next weekend when i am home for some extended listening!!

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
It's near impossible to let a thread like this slip by without recommending the CD63KI's in-house partner, the PM66 KI.

I use one with your CDP and I like what I hear.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts