Amp for Magneplanar MG12

Sabby

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
I have just managed to land myself a almost new pair of Magneplanar MG12's at a ridiculously good price, just couldn't resist :grin: I intend to drive them with my current Unison Research Unico which is conservatively rated at 80 watts per channel into 8ohms. Would this be sufficient to drive the MG12's in a room measuring 5m by 4m with heavy furnishings and a carperted floor. Music tastes are mainly jazz, blues and female vocals at moderate listening levels.

Sabby

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Sabby said:
I have just managed to land myself a almost new pair of Magneplanar MG12's at a ridiculously good price, just couldn't resist :grin: I intend to drive them with my current Unison Research Unico which is conservatively rated at 80 watts per channel into 8ohms. Would this be sufficient to drive the MG12's in a room measuring 5m by 4m with heavy furnishings and a carperted floor. Music tastes are mainly jazz, blues and female vocals at moderate listening levels.

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
I drive mine with a Nait5i which is rated at 50w into 8ohm, and was considering a Unico for the increased power, but preferred the Naim sound in the end. So, you should be OK, but the Maggies do like power.

Briliant speakers, by the way.

Sabby

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Thanks altruistic.lemon for reassuring me on that score. I have never heard Naim amps and would like to know which aspects of the Naim you find better than the Unico

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Didn't do a direct comparison, but generally there seems to be more space between the instruments with the Naim than most other amps I heard. Plus auditioning the Maggies with the Nait 5i made it easier just to buy that, to be honest, rather than stuff around.

Sabby

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Just received the MG12's on Sunday and listened for about 6 hours. Initially wasn't too impressed, but things got better the longer I listened. As mentioned before I'm using the Unison Research Unico to drive the MG12's and the amp is certainly not stressed and runs fairly cool even though it was an extremely hot day with temps around 30 degrees celsius. I'm not quite sure about placement and distance from rear wall. altruistic.lemon if you could offer any advice in this regard I would greatly appreciate it as you have had your MG12's for a while now and have probably sorted out placement issues. My room is approx 5m X 4m with the speakers on the longer side.

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Yes, thought the amp would be OK, that's good.

My speakers are about 70cm from the rear wall and about 60cm from the side. I doubt that's optimal, but works for us, given the room which is a bit narrower than yours but not quite as long.

Maggies need space, but, to be honest, after I'd set them up I didn't move them around too much as they sounded good, and that movement was away from the rear wall.

Sabby

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the info. I will pull them out a bit more into the room and see if that makes a difference. One last question, do you have to toe them in. I have the tweeters on the outside with about 5 degrees of toe-in.

TRENDING THREADS