Amp for Focal 806V Speakers..

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I'm looking for an amp for the Focal 806V speakers. Is the Yamaha A-S500 good enough? I've been considering stretching my budget to get Arcam A18 amp. Although I've read the latter is a little on the warm side, whereas the Yahama can be a tad on the bright side; I'm not sure which would compliment the Focal's better...

Thanks in advance.

A

Anonymous

Oh, and for the time being I'll be playing my music through my Asus Xonar Essence ST sound card from my PC. I've been considering getting an all-in-one system like the Marantz M-CR603 or the more expensive Arcam Solo Mini, but I'd imagine a separate amp would be better for the Focal's?

A

Anonymous

Can you let us know what your budget is & also what music you generally listen to?

I've heard these with an Arcam Solo & the Marantz CR603 and both drove them very well indeed; both sounded great as well.

Other amps to consider 2nd hand would the Arcam A85 or the FMJ A32; Musical Fidelity XA100 or XA200 or the Cyrus 8VS2. for new amps the Leema Pulse, Rega Brio/ Mira, Creek Evo II, Rotel RA1520 or the Cyrus 6XP would be a good match

A

Anonymous

Sorry, I should have supplied more information. The following is what I listen to in order of priority (1 being the highest):

1. Radiohead

2. Classic rock, such as Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Rush.

3. Classical and music like Simon and Garfunkel

Originally, my budget was £300, but after looking at some more amps, I'm willing to stretch it to £500 if there will be a noticeable increase in sound quality. I've just been reading about the new Rega Brio-R amp.. ..Although maybe the Rega RS1 speakers would be an even better match for these..

Thanks for all the replies so far.

Edit: Sorry hifilover79, I see you mentioned the Rega Brio is your post.

A

Anonymous

The Rega Brio-R is a lovely amp and it'd do well with the Rega RS3's. However I've also heard it with the Monitor Audio BX5's and the QUAD 21L2's and they were great speakers as well with the Brio-R; source was iTunes via a Beresford & C/A DAC and via a Rega Apollo CDP

However with your budget; the likes of a decent 2nd hand amp like some of the above mentioned work work very well also; especially with the Focals

My Unlce has these speakers now (initially bought them with an Arcam Solo for around £800 off the internet) but has since moved them to the rear speakers in his AV system with the 826's up front.

They made for a superb speakers with the Solo but he then changed them to some Rega RS5's (initially RS3's but wanted more bass)!

Are there any other standmount speakers you'd be interested in or have you already got the Focals?

A

Anonymous

The Arcam A85 is tempting as I can seem to get this for quite a reasonable price (second-hand of course).

I haven't bought the Focal's yet. I've been done much reading and researching, and given the kind of sound I like (along with my budget), I narrowed it down to the Focal's, Monitor Audio RX2, and Rega RS1. Eventually, I decided the Focal's would be the best bet.

I'd say sound quality is paramount for me, but I'm budget conscious at the moment in that I'm happy to pay more for a decent amount of improvement but not for just a little.

A

Anonymous

For me the M/A RX2's are better than the Focals and the Rega RS1's but that's for my taste in music etc...

Having heard all 3; the Rega RS1's are the best ones to go for if you need the speakers close to a wall whereas the Focals and M/A speakers when they've got room to breathe.

If your'e looking at these speakers then the Dynaudio DM 2/6's should be demo'd as well IMO, even if just to rule them out. Very good speakers indeed and I'm sure out of these 4, you;d soon find the right speakers

There are a couple of Arcam DiVA A85 amps on eBay currently. It'd also be worth having a demo (if you can) of the Audiolab 8200A amp; that's another very good amp indeed

A

Anonymous

If you don't mind me asking, what are your music tastes (so I know what the RX2's can be good for)?

I'll give the RX2's another look, because thinking back, I remember being put off when reading how they don't go well with the A-S500, which at the time, I was set on getting.

For right now though, I'm definitely tempted to pick up an A85 from Ebay as I read more about it. Do you know if this amp would go well with the RX2?

I don't know if you're familiar with headphones, but I've always been a headphone guy and a pair like the AKG K 601 is a good example of the kind of sound I like. And something balanced like the HD 598's are always pleasant to listen to.

Edit: Sorry, I messed up with the RX/2 speakers. Those were the ones I thought would have too much bass. I like what I'm reading about the Dynaudio DM 2/6; would those pair well with the Arcam A85?

A

Anonymous

I listen to everything from AC/DC to system of a down to jethro Tull to hed kandi to mount Kimbie to fischerspooner and so on. Very eclectic range but solid, well timed, deep bass with smooth but detailed midrange ands a crisp/clear treble are important to me

The RX2's fit this bill very well, as do the Dynaudios and Focals but I've a fairly large living room so I was able to give the RX2's the room to breathe that they need/deserve

The Arcam A85 amp is very good indeed and will drive a lot of speakers every well indeedso they'd suit the Focals, RX2s and Dynaudios well.

Are you able to look at floor standing speakers at all as the likes of some 2nd hand Rega RS5s, M/A RS6s and Quad 21 or 22 L2s could be the way to go

A

Anonymous

I've never really considered floor standing speakers, as I thought that stand mounts would give better value for money. Having said that, I'm looking at a pair of Rega RS5 on Ebay at the moment... ..why would you recommend them?

Thanks

A

Anonymous

The RS5s are superb speakers; even more so with the likes of an Arcam, Rega or Musical Fidelity amp (they'd suit the Arcam A85 or Rega Brio-R amp very well indeed). They're also superb speakers for the likes of rock, classical & jazz music . The only reason I didn't go for them with my current Marantz system is that even though theyve great bass; it didn't go deep enough for me whereas the BX5s I've got (and the RX2s I had beforehand) did/do If you can get the Rega RS5s for close to their current price; you'd have some superb speakers!

A

Anonymous

The Rega RS5's are superb speakers & if you can get them for around the price they're at now then you've got hell of a bargain!

The only reason I didnt go for them with my current system is that they didnt reach the depth of bass that I wanted for the likes of the house & electronica music I listen to

The RS5's are very good through with rock, vocal, classical and jazz music and the Arcam A85 or Rega Brio-R amps would be my choice of partner with these

A

Anonymous

Argh, I missed the A85 on Ebay. They've been relisted but I've asked if I can 'buy it now'. If I can't I just hope it doesn't go up in price.

I'll definitely be keeping my eye on the Rega RS5 auction. It'd be great if I can get them.

After that, I'll just save up for a CD player or something in that vein; I don't want to use my PC as the source permanently. More research ahead...

A

Anonymous

I might go for a an ex-demo pair of Rega RS5s for a little more...

I'm looking at the Rega Brio-r, but it looks far less powerful than the A85. Are they both in the same league as far as amps go?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
SpriteAlpha said:
I might go for a an ex-demo pair of Rega RS5s for a little more...

I'm looking at the Rega Brio-r, but it looks far less powerful than the A85. Are they both in the same league as far as amps go?

If both amps were new I would expect the A85 to be a little better; but saying that, I think I would rather have a new Brio than a 2nd hand Arcam.

A

Anonymous

I agree that the Arcam A85 would be a better all round amp but for all out synergy; the Rega Brio-R and RS5's would be superb

Match these with the Rega Apollo or music from your PC (possibly wireless) via maybe the Rega DAC and that's one hell of a system IMO
8)

A

Anonymous

Well, I'm going to contact a local dealer tomorrow and arrange a demonstration of the Brio-r + RS5 + Rega Apollo. If it's what I'm looking for, I'll buy those ex-dem RS5 speakers and a new Brio-R, with the intent of getting the Apollo or maybe the DAC at a later date.

Thanks for all the advice. I'll post an update with my thoughts on the systems.

A

Anonymous

Well, I'm going to contact a local dealer tomorrow and arrange a demonstration of the Brio-r + RS5 + Rega Apollo. If it's what I'm looking for, I'll buy those ex-dem RS5 speakers and a new Brio-R, with the intent of getting the Apollo or maybe the DAC at a later date.

A

Anonymous

A

Anonymous

What about these amps?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/REGA-BRIO-3-BLACK-/260803338179?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item3cb9171fc3

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rega-Mira-3-Integrated-Amplifier-Black-/230659675085?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item35b46353cd

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Arcam-Diva-A85-Intergrated-Amplifier-Pre-owned-Black-/160637429038?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item2566bca52e - Could possibly do a deal on this and the RS5's they have!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Arcam-A85-amplifier-Excellent-/150648275340?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item231356418c

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cyrus-Audio-8VS2-Integrated-Amplifier-Black-Boxed-/230659674530?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item35b46351a2 - Lovely amp still; renowned for being bright but have heard this amp with the Rega RS5's and QUAD 21L2's and 22L2's with the Rega Apollo CDP and it made for a fantastic soundstage; especially with the likes of Pink Floyd
smiley-cool.gif

A

Anonymous

Arghhh, you're confusing me :grin:

In fact, I'm now wondering if floor standers will be too much for the room they'd be put in. They'd go in a loft extension, which is mostly empty, with two windows on side of the ceiling with blinds. It's 5.7m long by 3.2m wide, and has sloping ceilings (it's definitely not a tall room).

Would the RS5 be okay this kind of room?

SpriteAlpha said:
Arghhh, you're confusing me :grin:

In fact, I'm now wondering if floor standers will be too much for the room they'd be put in. They'd go in a loft extension, which is mostly empty, with two windows on side of the ceiling with blinds. It's 5.7m long by 3.2m wide, and has sloping ceilings (it's definitely not a tall room).

Would the RS5 be okay this kind of room?

Can I add my tuppence worth: Heard a few Focal speakers over the years and they do indeed sound very good with Arcam. Likewise, look at Creek Evo and perhaps Nad.

A

Anonymous

Well, I'm going to demo the Rega setup (RS5 + Brio-R + Apollo) this week, just to get a general idea if anything. I still need to be sure an expensive speaker set up is what I want. As I said earlier, I'm a headphone guy; in the speaker realm I never listened on anything better than my Aego M 2.1 speakers for my computer.

Reading about the Cyrus and that does sound like an interesting amp, especially if I can get it cheapish. If floor standers were too much for my room, do you think this amp would be good for the Dynaudio 2/6 speakers?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
SpriteAlpha said:
Well, I'm going to demo the Rega setup (RS5 + Brio-R + Apollo) this week, just to get a general idea if anything. I still need to be sure an expensive speaker set up is what I want. As I said earlier, I'm a headphone guy; in the speaker realm I never listened on anything better than my Aego M 2.1 speakers for my computer.

Reading about the Cyrus and that does sound like an interesting amp, especially if I can get it cheapish. If floor standers were too much for my room, do you think this amp would be good for the Dynaudio 2/6 speakers?

I will be surprised if the Rega system doesn't push all the right buttons.

I'm the wrong person to advise on the Cyrus, as I don't like it; all I will say is if you go for it, don't pair it with bright sounding speakers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts