Amp for elac Unifi

Cycleman

Jun 27, 2016
Visit site
A Big Hello to all.

I listen a pair of Elac Unifi with arcam fmj 29 and it was very sweet to me,i liked. But i am still comfused cause i don't know if the 80w is enough for these speakers.

Especialy about specs of the speakers:

Sensitivity:[/b] 85 dB at 2.83 v/1m
Recommended amplifier power:[/b] 40 to 140 wpc
Peak power handling:[/b] 140 wpc
Nominal impedance:[/b] 4 Ω; minimum 3.4 Ω

So if it is small for these speakers, i will go to a powerfull amp.but if it is not necessary i will have money.I am also comfused .... i can't have a good option about which amp to choose because the amps are in a different shop so in differents rooms. I am not listen any of them but i am afraid that i will not notice any difference or i will have not so clean opinion.The amp what i will liked to listen is

1) Nad c375bee

2) Rotel ra-1570

3) Arcam fmj 39

4) Peachtree Nova 125

So you help me if you let me know about which amp i must prefer of these 4. After if you think that it will work better with other amp...name it. Any comment about my thought is precious.

thanx a lot .

Cycleman said:
A Big Hello to all.

I listen a pair of Elac Unifi with arcam fmj 29 and it was very sweet to me,i liked. But i am still comfused cause i don't know if the 80w is enough for these speakers.

Especialy about specs of the speakers:

Sensitivity: 85 dB at 2.83 v/1mRecommended amplifier power: 40 to 140 wpcPeak power handling: 140 wpcNominal impedance: 4 Ω; minimum 3.4 Ω

So if it is small for these speakers, i will go to a powerfull amp.but if it is not necessary i will have money.I am also comfused .... i can't have a good option about which amp to choose because the amps are in a different shop so in differents rooms. I am not listen any of them but i am afraid that i will not notice any difference or i will have not so clean opinion.The amp what i will liked to listen is

1) Nad c375bee

2) Rotel ra-1570

3) Arcam fmj 39

So you help me if you let me know about which amp i must prefer of these 3. After if you think that it will work better with other amp...name it. Any comment about my thought is precious.

thanx a lot .

I can think of no reason the A29 should not drive these speakers adequately. If you like what you have heard go ahead even though I haven't heard those particular speakers.

Cycleman

Jun 27, 2016
Visit site
i remember the volume it was in 50 and it wasn't loud....which number is the max to arcam?!

i add also the peachtree amp.I am waiting also for others to help me.thanx

kukulec

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
Al ears said:
I can think of no reason the A29 should not drive these speakers adequately. If you like what you have heard go ahead even though I haven't heard those particular speakers.

+1 (a better amplifier would also require better speakers)

kukulec

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
Cycleman said:
but arcam is g class...what about others?there is better than arcam?
The only thing that matters is that you like the sound. If you want to burn money: in your setup the Elac is the weaker link. I would either buy a better one with JET speaker or check other floorstanding speakers.

insider9

Cycleman said:
but arcam is g class...what about others?there is better than arcam?
Define better...

You might enjoy other amps more, that's true. You may not enjoy some of them though. It's all personal taste. Arcam is a quality product it will output 175W per channel with 4 ohm speakers which is plenty of power. It matters not whether it's class G, D, AB or A. Main difference will be in your electricity bill.

The only way of finding out is through auditions. As a rule of thumb Rotel will sound different to Arcam as well NAD. I have not heard any of the Peachtree to comment.

Also what number it shows on volume dial has no meaning. Some will go to half way point and quickly then run out of juice where some others can go way beyond that and have more precise dials.

Go out listen, find out what sound you like. Eventually you'll find something you like.

insider9

I haven't heard the amps on your list neither your speakers. I have heard/owned other models which may be indicative if the amps on your list are in line with specific brands house sound. What kind of music do you listen to most?

Cycleman

Jun 27, 2016
Visit site
insider9

Thanx about your message.if you had heard any of nad,rotel,arcam....could you please inform me about which is the main differene between them? It will be a big hand for me.

One last thing...nad says....90watts at 8ohm and same to 4ohm

arcam says...90w to 8ohm but 175w to 4ohm....!Somebody told me that nad is better amp...and this 'advantage' (to have the same watts for 4ohm to 8ohm) have only the me very expensive amps out there. But the number is a number....at 4ohm is the half power....isn't? can you explain to me about it?!

insider9

I may be slated by others for this. But if it helps you at all then might as well. In general there are some characteristics that translate between models we can call house sound. It is a massive generalisation so please make sure you demo anything and don't buy on this alone. It's an opinion and not an advice or suggestion. There are many much more experienced people on this forum than me.

With that out of the way.

Arcam is usually laid back with lots of detail, great soundstage. Quite what I'd call introvert presentation though some models more than others. Great if you value detail but will not make you get up and dance to the music.

NAD is more musical and less detailed and warmer. Good bass authority. More forward than Arcam.

Rotel would be musical clean and expressive. Similar to NAD but without as much bass and probably even more forward and not as warm. My experience isn't very big with that make.

insider9

Cycleman said:
so NAD is the most warm of them?!

But i still i don't know why NAD have the same watts from 8ohm to 4ohm.
Not sure exactly why they say that either. According to review in tech radar

"NAD's specifications are distinctly conservative. We ran a few tests on the 375BEE which showed its continuous power delivery (driving two channels) to be barely a whisker below 200 watts"

I'd suggest a demo and see what you think for yourself.

But the previous advice was right in my opinion. Exchanging an amp and not the cheapest for these speakers will give you less improvement than getting other speakers that match the amp you already have.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts