Amp for Boston Acoustics A26 (or other)

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello everyone,

I've been reading forums and website for long but now I decided to make the big step into the hifi world.

I'm actually using a pair of Monitor Audio AV40 active monitors connected to a X-Fi USB HD soundcard. I do like its sound even if sometimes it could be a little bit warmer.

But i'm soon going to get a real living room and so I would like to setup a system which would allow me to connect more sources than just my pc. The room where the system will be is in L shape, something like 5*5 for each square of the L. The living room will be one square of 5*5 meters with no wall on the right side.

I've actually been looking on the Boston Acoustics A26 which I can have for a good price. But I can't decide on the amp to drive them.

I firstly wanted a Denon Dm38 because it's also quite cheap but it's rated at 6ohm 30watts, so i'm quite scared that the A26 won't be driven correctly (not sure about it though).

My second choice was a Onkyo TX-8030 because you can use two pair of speakers on it, which could be helpful to add a pair of speakers in the other part of the room. But I can't find a lot of information about it...

Then there is the Yamaha R-S500 which could be nice even if I don't really like its design but sound comes first if any one tells me that it's a good choice.

My last choice is the Kenwood Ra-5000 which doesn't have 2 pair of speakers but digital in, which could be nice to plug the tv directly in it.

As you can see, I can't decide and I feel lost !

If any one can confirm that the DM38 would be enough, I would directly jump on it.
Or if you have feedback concerning the other ones.... or any other suggestions even if suggest to use another pair of speakers.

Budget is max 600 €.

Thanks in advance for your help !

Best regards,

alx

PS: Sorry if my english made your eyes bleed.

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Hi, I have the Boston Acoustics A26 speakers powered by my Denon PMA 250SE amplifer. As the A26's are reasonably sensitive and 8 Ohms they are driven fairly easily. You don't need a really powerful amplifier to drive them. Mine is 30 watts @ 8 Ohms. I really like the sound combined with my Denon. You can pick up one second hand for between £30-£100. The Denon SE is one of the best budget amps ever made. If new is your thing, I would not recommend a mini system but would instead go for a seperate amp such as Marantz PM6004 or Denon PMA range (the 720 or 520AE would be fine). Try placing the speakers around 15 cm from the rear wall.

A

Anonymous

Hello Blackdawn,

Thanks for your input ! Well, new is not specially my cup of tea but here in Belgium we do not really have a lot of choices in second hand...

I forgot to add that I'm looking for one with an integrated tuner. Maybe the Denon DRA-500 would do the job? Are there other differences other than the Tuner in the PMA vs DRA ranges?

Anyway, thanks for your help already !

600 € is for the combo Speakers + Receiver (I have the a26 for 230 € so that leaves around 370€ for the receiver). Budget was given just in case someone had a more awesome combo ;)

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
mukumi said:
600 € is for the combo Speakers + Receiver (I have the a26 for 230 € so that leaves around 370€ for the receiver). Budget was given just in case someone had a more awesome combo ;)

In which case wait until the Denon DM39 comes into your shops. (It is due out - here in the UK - about now.)

It may be even better than the DM38 was.

A

Anonymous

Yes, I saw that one incoming. I also have an eye on the DRA-F109. It's the receiver of the refresh of D-F107. But it looks like almost no one ever tried that D-F107...

I found a deal on the MCR-603 at 469€ but it goes way up my budget unfortunately :'(

Anyone has experience on Yamaha R-S500 or Onkyo TX-8030 ? Or are those to avoid? i've read that Yamaha can sound harsh but since the A26 are quite soft (from what i've read) maybe that would balance the sound...

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
To the OP, you would save a lot if you buy the tuner seperately (especially on the second hand market). Maybe the NAD reciever, Marantz or Onkyo's would be a good choice.

A

Anonymous

Thanks everyone for your answers. Well I still feel a bit loss. I got even more propositions than before.

For the second hand, as I said, it's not really expended in Belgium. You can find really old stuff but for the rest it's quite hard (or I don't know where to look). So second hand tuner + amp can't be an option unfortunately.

So, I'll give a look to those Marantz; it looks like the SR5023 can be found for 239€. Is it any good?

Last option is waiting for a good deal on Denon CEOL or Marantz MCR-603. If nothing happens before two weeks, i'll just give a shot to the Onkyo TX-8030.

Thanks to everyone for their time !

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Best to go into some of your local HiFi shops and demo some gear as it's hard to recommend equipment when we don't know what you have in Belgium. It can be quite subjective, what sounds good to one person may not to another. Good luck with your search for a new receiver. FWIW I'm enjoying the Boston Acoustics A26 speakers very much.

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
Zax89swe said:
Just ordered boston acoustic a26 and marantz pm6004 :read: Is this a good pick?

Yes ! The PM6004 is a great amp and the A26 are great speakers (much better than the A25 which I also heard).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts