Amp+CD Player upgrade

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi guys, I'm owner of B&W CM7 speakers paired with Arcam A18 and CD17. I've got some extra money and someone who would like to buy my amp and player, so I decided to go for some upgrades early next year. Even I'm more or less happy with my setup, I know the week points and I think CM7 deserve bit more of power as 2x50w from my A18. I'm happy with amount of bass, but its slow, lean. And highs could be a little bit more opened too. Generally - I want to bring a bit more life to my music :)

As I was looking around, I really like Cambridge Audio 840A and 840C. 840 CD player has digital inputs, so can be used as a standalone DAC (I was planning to get one too), balanced connection and enough of power (in case of future speakers upgrade). But I'm not really sure about CA and B&W combination. What do you think guys? Will I get better controlled, punchy bass and bit more opened sound with this combination? Whats your experience?

A

Anonymous

Nobody has an experience with CA + B&W? So any other recommendation?

A

Anonymous

Lets say my budget is max. 1500? for amp + CD player... But I don't mind to buy even used components in good condition...

A

Anonymous

For example - what do you think about this power amp? http://cgi.ebay.ie/ARCAM-P25-Stereo-Power-Amplifier-100w-x2-/200550678813?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item2eb1c0811d

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
When I bought my CD player, I compared the CD17 with the Rega Apollo (more revealing) and the Rega Saturn, which was the clear winner. There was just much more of everything and the music came alive. It's slightly odd that the Saturn doesn't figure in the WHF listings - I suppose it must have slipped through the reviewing net. There are plenty of positive reviews elsewhere and you can find good prices with a bit of searching. Frank Harvey is showing an ex-demo machine in perfect condition at £699.

As Frank Harvey didn't stock my Leema amp, we substituted one of the larger Arcam amps at my demo with great results. As you're generally happy with the Arcam sound, 'moving up' could be an option!

tomeq:For example - what do you think about this power amp? http://cgi.ebay.ie/ARCAM-P25-Stereo-Power-Amplifier-100w-x2-/200550678813?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item2eb1c0811d

I think the P25 wouldn't be suitable for A18. Look at something of the DIVA P80 or P85. Yup, heard so many good things about Rega although not them myself. The Exposure 2010S is superb CDP and would sound great with Arcam.

A

Anonymous

And what do you think about B&W and Yamaha combination? Lets say Yamaha A-S1000 + CD-S1000?

TRENDING THREADS