Amp & CD Player - Denon vs Marantz

cs2011

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I have a Denon PMA-720AE amp and DCD-520AE CD player, which I bought some time ago. Neither has actually been used yet owing to the fact that I am still in the middle of constructing some (transmission line) speakers.

However, I have noticed that the PM6006 and CD6006 combo from Marantz always seem to get rave reviews, and I wondered if these would be any better? The Marantz amp also has the advantage of digital inputs, which would be convenient for my TV sound, rather than using a separate DAC module.

insider9

If that was me I'd complete speakers build first. See how they measure, listen and then decide. Are you building from a kit or is this your own design? Could you share a bit more?

Also since you're making your own speakers why not make an amp as well? Many amp boards nowadays and adding a dac is very simple :)

cs2011

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
If the speakers sound good, I will post some more details. If they don't, I won't !!

I have built amps (and active speakers) before, but getting the aesthetics right is extremely difficult, hence the reason for buying the Denons. The Denon amp has preamp outputs and switched mains outlets, so it would be ideal for activating the speakers at a later date, but the Marantz has 3 digital inputs.

insider9

Fair enough. If you can it's probably worth a wait. If not look at other options I was not a fan of Marantz you mention. It is personal, so don't be put off. It may turn out a great pairing for speakers you're making.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts