amp and speaker dilema

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Hi again hifi addicts was hoping for yet more advice from all the good chaps on here before i spend my hard earned. As per my previous posts i was advised to keep my audio lab stuff rather than go down the naim uniti route so i then decided on b&w 684 speakers which i thought sounded great with audiolab stuff. Now, yesterday i heard an arcam a38 amp with monitoraudio rx8. Now baring in mind my arcam tuner sounds great through my ma rx1s ie much smoother than cd and amp together wld it be a bad move to change my mono blocs to the a38 which wld give me the smoother sound that im after. Any help wld be great tuanks guys.

A

Anonymous

The FMJ A38 is a very good amp and will have a lot more smoother and deeper soundstage than your Audiolabs

So yes, if that's the sound you're after then go for it!

As I'd mentioned the NAD C355BEE integrated amp (2nd hand) or C356BEE (new) would give you a similar soundstage but with punchier bass and not as smooth but certainly not bright in any way but for heck of a lot less £££ IIRC

Again 2nd hand (& if you can find one) the Arcam FMJ A32 is/was a superb amp but can only be bought 2nd hand now

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I wouldn't be dumping the extremely capable 8000M's in favour of an integrated amplifier. These things can drive aomost anything, and are basically bombproof. I would be looking at speaker choice in order to tailor the system's tonal balance. It really depends how smooth you want to go (and on your classification of smooth) as to what to be looking at - the B&W's you're looking at aren't miles apart from the RX1's, so you'd be going sideways with the speaker, and then changing amplification to suit. If it was me, a speaker change is all I'd be looking at.

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Thanks guys for the advice. David i have to mention this to.see what you think but when i emailed basically sound in norwich a while ago to ask about a poss trade in for my set up for a uniti he bloody well offered me 650 for the lot excluding my technicks was he taking the mick or what? ??

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
I guess when i say smooth i mean the rs1 and amp.cd combo can sometimes be a bit relentless and do not go as deep as id like which is what i thought id heard recently with the bw 684s. I did not like the ma rx6 so any other suggestions. Ive heard quad floor standers are ok

A

Anonymous

I wouldn't ditch the monoblocks either, you'll miss the spacious and three dimensional sound they produce over an integrated. Perhaps consider looking at other pre-amps to go with them, maybe valves could be the way to go but I'd hang onto the Audiolabs.

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Ive also been looking at what seem to be capable.budget fs like mission mx3 and q acoustic 2050 which ive been told are great for the money do anyone have these? ?

A

Anonymous

Don't forget Epos Epic range, the Epic 5 has one of the best tonal balance's out there, its smooth as well as detailed and may be the perfect tonic for the cold Audiolabs.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts