Amp and dac/cdp for Bowers and Wilkins cm1

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
What would you recommend? (My dad currently has them paired to REAL budget stuff) And I mean really low end.

Speakers will not ever be upgraded so please don't suggest anything with future uprgrades in mind. Thanks.

New or second hand is good.

running123 said:
What would you recommend? (My dad currently has them paired to REAL budget stuff) And I mean really low end.

Speakers will not ever be upgraded so please don't suggest anything with future uprgrades in mind. Thanks.

New or second hand is good.

Hi running123

What does your dad generally listen to?

The budget?

In the meantime for amplifiers NAD C326BEE, C356BEE, C370, Naim Nait 5i, Rotel RA-1062, Marantz PM-64, PM-84 and PM-94.

For CD players NAD C545BEE, Rega Apollo, Naim CD5i, Rotel RCD-965BX, Marantz CD63 KI and Pioneer PDS-904.

For DACs Cambridge DacMagic, Rega DAC, Chord Electronics Chordette Peach DAC.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Hi thanks for the suggestions, I purposefully left out a budget to show him how high these speakers can be partnered. Basically what the (stubborn) plonker did (after returning a £600 bose soundock I warned him not to get in the first place) was tag these on the end of a sony micro system. Before I sold it I connected them to my alpha 9 and a friends ca 740cdp and they sounded fantastic.

after he gives me a budget I'll have a look at all the sugestions you've made. Havent heard of a fair few off them to be fair.

Thanks again :)

running123 said:
Hi thanks for the suggestions, I purposefully left out a budget to show him how high these speakers can be partnered. Basically what the (stubborn) plonker did (after returning a £600 bose soundock I warned him not to get in the first place) was tag these on the end of a sony micro system. Before I sold it I connected them to my alpha 9 and a friends ca 740cdp and they sounded fantastic.

after he gives me a budget I'll have a look at all the sugestions you've made. Havent heard of a fair few off them to be fair.

Thanks again :)

Hi running123

Your welcome :)

Just to clarify

New amps are NAD C326BEE, C356BEE and Naim Nait 5i

Used/discontinued amps are NAD C370, Rotel RA-1062, Marantz PM-64, PM-84 and PM-94

New CD players are NAD C545BEE, Rega Apollo and Naim CD 5i

Used/discontinued CD players are Rotel RCD-965BX, Marantz CD63 KI and Pioneer PDS-904

What does your dad generally listen to?

What cabling will be used?

Are the speakers to be stand, shelf or wall mounted?

Btw, just to also further clarify i don't deal with any used components.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

They sit on a shelf, the speakers are mainly used for classical music and old rock such as free, queen, rolling stones, the who etc. There has however been a development...

At 3am in his infinate wisdom he had an epiphany and bought a TEAC CR-H500DNT. (yes we have odd bedtimes).

I would imagine its not going to get the best out of the cm1's but I haven't yet heard the unit so will reserve judgement. He bought it off ebay and its non returnable (specified by the seller) as it has a slight mark on it so it was reduced by £50. Is it a suitable match? At 40w rms into 6ohms at 0.5% thd into 84db sentitive speakers I would imagine it will struggle, but perhaps someone with more knowledge could clarify? Would you say there would be a significant upgrade by going to a conventional seperates system?

I mean for that price you could get a c370 and an arcam alpha 9cdp or similar equivalents...Would you imagine it would be worth flogging the teac on ebay (wouldnt lose any money)?

Thanks again for your help

As for cables, I really have no idea sorry. He was given some by the man in the shop who flogged him the speakers and he is happy with it and will not change it. I previously bought some cheap qed wire from the same shop, whatever my dad has is a step above what I bought. I have no idea about ts tonal character but think it will probably be of suitable quality.

running123 said:
They sit on a shelf, the speakers are mainly used for classical music and old rock such as free, queen, rolling stones, the who etc. There has however been a development...

At 3am in his infinate wisdom he had an epiphany and bought a TEAC CR-H500DNT. (yes we have odd bedtimes).

I would imagine its not going to get the best out of the cm1's but I haven't yet heard the unit so will reserve judgement. He bought it off ebay and its non returnable (specified by the seller) as it has a slight mark on it so it was reduced by £50. Is it a suitable match? At 40w rms into 6ohms at 0.5% thd into 84db sentitive speakers I would imagine it will struggle, but perhaps someone with more knowledge could clarify? Would you say there would be a significant upgrade by going to a conventional seperates system?

I mean for that price you could get a c370 and an arcam alpha 9cdp or similar equivalents...Would you imagine it would be worth flogging the teac on ebay (wouldnt lose any money)?

Thanks again for your help

As for cables, I really have no idea sorry. He was given some by the man in the shop who flogged him the speakers and he is happy with it and will not change it. I previously bought some cheap qed wire from the same shop, whatever my dad has is a step above what I bought. I have no idea about ts tonal character but think it will probably be of suitable quality.

Hi running123

Your welcome.

I think the Teac will do a fair job with the speakers although in all fairness an amplifier such as the excellent NAD C370 will work superbly with the B&W CM1's :bigsmile:

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

I'm using a Rega DAC with CM8's and it's an excellent combo. Amp is a Cairn 4810 but they are long discontinued and very expensive.

Personally I would wait for the new Rega amp and try that with the matching dac, should be out very soon and will also match visually.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts