Amp Advice - Budget £200 - £400

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I'm looking to buy a new amp in the near future. After 10 years of not buying any hi-fi I recently purchased a pair of Moradunt Short 961i speakers. I'm really impressed with them. Incredbily detailed sound.

My amp is a rather old NAD 314. Although detailed the sound my system is producing is a bit bass light. On some recordings the higher end of the frequency range can sound harsh. So I am looking to replace my NAD 314 with an amp which will hopefully soften the top end and add bass and some warmth.

Would an up to date NAD amp do this? or should I look at other brands?

I would like to stick to around the £200 - £300 mark but will go up to £400 if there is an amp which will produce considerably better results.

Any advice greatly appreciated,

A

Anonymous

NAD C355BEE is the amp which sounds to suit your needs (pardon the awful pun.)

A

Anonymous

That's a good choice for a NAD amp in your price range (£360.00) - or the C325BEE which is the amp a class below (£230.00).

Go for the C355BEE if you can, as suggested by Hughes123.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I assume you mean MS916i's rather than 961 though I may be wrong. The i series of ms speakers (incl 902's) have been much praised but personally I don't think to much of them. The fact that ebay is over run with the things probably tells a story or two as well. I find them (the 902i, which i've listenend to a couple of times when they were traded-in) a very strange sounding speaker and a step back from previous MS budget stuff. Lifted treble which stands out as separate and an ill defined bass. I only heard them for short periods and I only mention this because I think your problem is not entirely amplifier dependant though your NAD is probably due for upgrading.

If you can, go to a good dealer and listen to different amplifiers (with your speakers). Dont forget the likes of Denon, hardly mentioned in this forum and the recipient of some bad reviews by the forum provider but personally I think they are eminently musical, punchy and entertaining, especially the midrange items. The cps are great too. Then listen to some different speakers and I'm sure you'll find that a combination of new amp and speakers will reap great rewards. You dont have to buy it all at once but this way you get some idea of where you're going.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the quick responses.

You are right I meant MS916i. I am quite happy with the speakers although they are on the bright side with my current set up. I'll go for a new amp first. If I find the speakers still do not suit I will change them.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Hughes123:NAD C355BEE is the amp which sounds to suit your needs (pardon the awful pun.)

Creek Evo - much better than the NAD, in fact much better than anything in that price range. Look on Creek's websitek, they do ex demos with free delivery and 3 year warranty for around £300-£350.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the info.

I had not thought of Creek. I guess in my price range I would be looking at the Evolution. Anyone have experience of this Amp or may be online reviews?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
SJH01:
Thanks for the info.

I had not thought of Creek. I guess in my price range I would be looking at the Evolution. Anyone have experience of this Amp or may be online reviews?

That's the one I referred to - Evo. Fantastic amp. Very accurate and with surprising power.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts