Amazon Music cast to Chromecast Quality Limitation ?

Witterings

I've just been casting 192KHz tracks to a Chromecast Audio from the Amazon App and it's limited to 44.1 ... does anyone know if that's an Amazon restriction?

If I cast the same track to the WiiM Pro it plays at 192 and if I cast it from Qobuz to Chromecast it plays at 96 which is Chromecasts maximum.

Asking as I use the WiiM Pro for critical listening but have spare Chromecast Audios I can use for expanding multiroom listening and if there's a way I can get the higher quality ideally I would.

I've just been casting 192KHz tracks to a Chromecast Audio from the Amazon App and it's limited to 44.1 ... does anyone know if that's an Amazon restriction?

If I cast the same track to the WiiM Pro it plays at 192 and if I cast it from Qobuz to Chromecast it plays at 96 which is Chromecasts maximum.

Asking as I use the WiiM Pro for critical listening but have spare Chromecast Audios I can use for expanding multiroom listening and if there's a way I can get the higher quality ideally I would.
The question might be, regardless of the streaming quality, can you hear any difference??

Witterings

The question might be, regardless of the streaming quality, can you hear any difference??

Honest answer ... yes I genuinely believe I can - not in terms of detail but in terms of warmth / richness and "fullness" of sound.

I do want to double check this though just in case it's volume matching as I've been back to backing them and the feed to the WiiM itself may be a tad louder.

That said it's not the 1st time I've felt there's a difference between the 2 and hence if it is obtainable would ideally use it.

Witterings

I'm wondering if maybe my use of words wasn't clear as the question I asked wasn't ....
"Can humans notice the difference in sound between 44.1 and 192KHz"

I'm trying to ascertain if Amazon limit the tracks casting to Chromecast to 44.1KHz ... OR ... if I've not enabled an option within Amazon music that enables it to play at higher resolution 96KHz and if so what do I change to raise the limit.

If it's not possible and it's a restriction Amazon impose at that stage I appreciate I then have a choice of whether I feel I can hear a difference between the two and whether I'm happy to stick with the lower quality or buy more WiiM's if not.

Witterings

I believe but am not certain that Amazon limit Chromecast streaming to "Standard Quality".

Thank you for that ... I don't know why I normally google my queries before starting a thread and on this occasion didn't but seeing your answer made me think I should and on the Amazon FAQ's found:

Which Android devices support Amazon Music HD?

Most Android devices running Android Lollipop, released in 2014, or later support HD/Ultra HD playback. However, Android devices vary widely in quality and purpose, so we advise checking manufacturer specifications for HD/Ultra HD support.

At this time Amazon Music HD is not supported on Chromecast.

As you rightly say it seems not .... shame really and you can't help but think they're shooting themselves in the foot a bit by limiting the quality, the only reason I can see for doing so is to try and sell their devices but the type of people looking for HD / Ultra HD aren't the same people that will be using an Echo Studio.

Reactions: DCarmi

DCarmi

As you rightly say it seems not ....
Amazon and Google have a history of not playing nicely with one another. Also Google have been poor at supporting Chromecast audio streaming which I think is a mistake. I'd have though better Chromecast support would have helped drive other product /service sales.

I have a couple of CCAs and a Home Hub Max. I recently acquired a Wiim mini which I prefer to the CCA. It is not that I think it sounds better plugged into the same DAC. It just does the job nicely and has obvious ongoing support and is fairly cheap.

I am not particularly inclined to add any new Google products. What home automation I have works just as well from our phones. Neither am I that keen on the Amazon ecosystem.

Edbostan

Aug 5, 2021
Visit site

I listen to Amazon Music via my Sonos speakers in HD, Ultra HD and Atmos and I can't hear any difference between any of the formats.

Vincent Kars

Have you enabled "exclusive" mode in Amazon?

Reactions: Symples

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts