Am I a dull listener??

Mikejekel

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

Two years ago I changed my denon surround receiver from "media market" to a Rega Brio R. They were hooked up to my wharfedale diamond 9.1 speakers and I was pretty happy with the sound, although I knew the amp deserved better. I demo'do lots of different speakers and bought the MA rx6. They were very detailed AND had very good bass. But then came the "listening fatigue". I could really listen for long without turning the volume down. I was more and more occupied with finding music that didn't sound harsh instead of music I wanted to hear. After trying different free solutions like positioning I decided to take my loss and sell the speakers. I knew the system wasn't bright with the wharfedales so it must be the speakers right?

with the money from selling the rx6 I bought the dynaudio x12. A "warmer" speaker. Major improvement compared to the rx6 regarding the brightness. I lost some on the deep end but that was still fine. Still the brightness wasn gone completely. After another year of doubting and reading this forum among others, I decided it must have been the brio causing the brightness all along. In the meantime I changed speaker cables with no result, at all.

Today a secondhand arcam a28 arrived. Lots of reviews call them very warm, too warm, even dull! The advise is to pair them with detailed speakers like the ma rx6!!

so now I have hooked up my dull new amp with my warm speakers......and this is it!! This is exactly he sound I have been looking for. I reached audio heaven. All money and time finally days off.

so that's it, had to share it here. But does this mean I like a dull sound?

thanks for being honest ;)

Not heard the Brio-R but when I had the original Apollo CDP on home dem, despite its sonic merits, just couldn't get it to sound right. The midrange, compared to my Arcam, sounded a little limp. However, the clarity and detail was slightly better, but decided *correctly* to pass on the Apollo.

Arcam amps, IMO, are always a safe bet for a firm sound, but never class them as warm.

Mikejekel

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
Thanks vlad that sounds better than dull! In fact, after two days of listening i would not describe it as dull at all. I don't think I miss any of the detail I had with the brio. It just added some power to the midrange and bass department.

still very happy!!

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
rainsoothe said:
CnoEvil said:
Understanding what sound you like and how to achieve it, is the key to happy listening.

Enjoy.

+1. Congrats and many-a-happy-a-listenig :)

+ another one. It doesn't matter what other people like, they're not buying your kit for you. There is no definitive answer to sound reproduction and your 'correct' is as valid as anyone elses. Congratulations, it is very nice to find another person on here, who is happy and content.

jlg

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Hi, I take this thread as I am in a similar position to that of Mike. I am also more concerned with listening to music that sounds good, instead of listening to the music that I like.

First I had Marantz Pm-Cd6004 and Rega Rs3 speakers, I did not like, very bright, little body in music; So I bought Rega Brio-R and Rega Dac (Marantz as transport). The thing improved somewhat (I think mostly because Rega Dac, which is fantastic) but I'm not happy at all. Some CDs sound bright, loud, aggressive, and I seek a warmer, rounded, smooth sound .. I think you understand me ...

What do you think I should do? I change the amp? What amp? Maybe the speakers? What speakers? I remind my sistem: Rega Brio-R, Rega Dac (Marantz as transport), speakers Rega Rs3.

Sorry for my english

Thank you.

Mikejekel

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
Hi jlg,

in my case, i believe the rega dac is responsible for great separation and detail, so that ones stays. I never heard any rega speakers but chaning the brio for the arcam definitely gave a much smoother presentation. I think it mainly gives the extra push to the midrange and bass it needed for the improved balance.

Good luck!

sheggs

May 30, 2012
Visit site
Has your room been acoustically treated? What you are describing could very easily have been a result of the room and not the speakers themselves

jlg

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Mikejekel said:
Hi jlg,

in my case, i believe the rega dac is responsible for great separation and detail, so that ones stays. I never heard any rega speakers but chaning the brio for the arcam definitely gave a much smoother presentation. I think it mainly gives the extra push to the midrange and bass it needed for the improved balance.

Good luck!

Sorry for the delay, I was offline for several days.

Thanks Mike, for me Rega dac is fantastic, improves the sound of my Marantz Cd6004, Rega dac is reputed to be warm and analog.

Your Arcam amplifier is too expensive for my budget (400-500 €), plus it is too powerful for my room (15 m2). Maybe the basic model of Arcam can give me that warmth?

I want to know if my Rega speakers are a bit bright and if I can get some warmer speakers in that budget.

jlg

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
sheggs said:
Has your room been acoustically treated? What you are describing could very easily have been a result of the room and not the speakers themselves

No, it hasn't.

My room is small, about 4x4 meters, the floor is made of wood (parquet) and has several wooden furniture and some curtains.

I do not think it's a great room for listening music, but I think it is average. I do not think this is the main problem.

Thank you.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
jlg said:
Mikejekel said:
Hi jlg,

Good luck!

Thanks Mike, for me Rega dac is fantastic, improves the sound of my Marantz Cd6004, Rega dac is reputed to be warm and analog.

Your Arcam amplifier is too expensive for my budget (400-500 €), plus it is too powerful for my room (15 m2). Maybe the basic model of Arcam can give me that warmth?

I want to know if my Rega speakers are a bit bright and if I can get some warmer speakers in that budget.

Too powerful?

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
jlg said:
Some CDs sound bright, loud, aggressive[/b],

Yep. That's often down to the production. Not knowing the specific CDs I couldn't say whether the problem is due to your equipment or the CDs themselves. One thing to be careful of is that putting a system that makes music with poor/rough production round, warm and smooth you risk making other better recorded music sound too dull. I know the decent balance can be achieved, but it can be a little tricky sometimes and comes down to personal tastes.

jlg

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
BigH said:
jlg said:
Mikejekel said:
Hi jlg,

Good luck!

Too powerful?

Well, I mean I don't need a very powerful amplifier, my room is small, the speakers are sensitivity - 89dB and I listen to music at a low - medium volume.

With the Brio-r the volume knob is always down , and are only 50 w.

Anyway my budget is 400-500€

jlg

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
ID. said:
jlg said:
Some CDs sound bright, loud, aggressive,

Yep. That's often down to the production. Not knowing the specific CDs I couldn't say whether the problem is due to your equipment or the CDs themselves. One thing to be careful of is that putting a system that makes music with poor/rough production round, warm and smooth you risk making other better recorded music sound too dull. I know the decent balance can be achieved, but it can be a little tricky sometimes and comes down to personal tastes.

Yes, you're right, the recording quality is very important, so I try to get an amp and speakers to disguise some of that lack of quality.

Mostly I listen to rock and pop of the 60s and 70s and many recordings are not good, so they do not sound good in my Rega. In general terms the jazz sounds great, but is not the kind of music I usually listen.

Some records that sound bad:

Tim Buckley - Tim Buckley

Neil Young - Ragged Glory

Lovin' Spoonful- Do you believe..., Daydream

Rory Gallagher - Tattoo

Byrds- The Notorious Byrd Brothers (so-so)

Sound very good:

Byrds - Younger than yesterday

Nilsson - Pandemonium shadow show

Pink Floyd - The piper...

Who- Quadrophenia

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts