Alternative to wireless dongle for Sony TV internet connection?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi

I have a Sony KDL32W5810 and want to connect it to the internet. The TV has Ethernet only connection (no built in Wifi) and it's not possible to have a wired connection to my wireless modem/router which is upstairs. I also have a spare Netgear DG834 wireless modem/router.

Has anyone had experience of using a wireless router instead of a wireless dongle to connect the TV to their home network? I know there are other devices which should do the same job - the Belkin gaming adaptor? I think it should be possible to use the spare router though.

Any help would be appreciated.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Have used the Belkin gaming adaptor with a number of Ethernet-only BD players with no problems at all - see no reason why it shouldn't work with this TV, too

I had bought the Belkin adaptor.........contacted Belkin support when I couldn't connect it to my router. They told me that the adaptor is not compatible currently with Vista. So I returned it & later bought the Buffalo.

I wasn't told about the option of setting it up via the web browser....oh well, I guess they lost a customer due to poor technical support....

A

Anonymous

Homeplugs are a better solution than wireless. Just make sure u get homeplugs that are at least 200Mbps or better 1GBps,

Wireless is slow with more latency and prone to interference giving u a somewhat jerky experience.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the responses, I hadn't considered Homeplugs but they could well be the least painful method....

Cheers

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
edsib1:
Homeplugs are a better solution than wireless. Just make sure u get homeplugs that are at least 200Mbps or better 1GBps,

Wireless is slow with more latency and prone to interference giving u a somewhat jerky experience.

edsib1, I'm going to go ahead and get some plugs for my BD1 and PC. My router is only draft N, is there any point in getting gigabit/ps plugs over 220 mbps ones?

A

Anonymous

@gerrard

I'll talk u through it in the HDX forums whe I get home.

A

Anonymous

I bought an 'openmedia wifi bridge' for £30 from ebay for my Sony S370 blu ray player (which also only has ethernet). It is a
wifi/ethernet bridge that is powered by USB, making it perfect for my
S370. It just plugs into the ethernet and usb ports on the back, and
doesn't need an external power supply. I thought it was a better solution than using plugs (and ethernet cables etc). some more info here
www.wifibridge.co.uk

cbyg8130

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Hi. I was not impressed with the Sony dongle for my Bravia. The tv is some way away from the router and the old Sky router would not give enough signal for the tv although I could use a tablet. When I got my new (more powerful !!) Sky router a few years ago the dongle didn't work at all. Sky suggested I contact Sony and Sony suggested I contact Sky. I received all sorts of useless advice including restoring factory settings to the tv so I gave up. Recently I purchased a Sky broadband booster for other reasons and located it by my tv. I had not expected the dongle to do anything but lo and behold it suddenly worked perfectly and can stream Amazon Prime films. The broadband booster comes with an ethernet output and short cable so I tried that instead of the dongle and its even better. Hope this is useful to readers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts