Alternative to Mezzo 2

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
My mezzo 2's have blown and I need to buy a replacement pair, I've found a good price online £279.00. But before I commit I was wondering if there were any suggestions / experience of good alternatives.

Jeff

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I need to qualify my reply, by saying that I haven't heard either of my suggestions. I also don't know what you're partnering them with....so a bit of a lottery and should only be seen as food for thought.

Arcaydis DM1.........(see WHF's glowing review)

EB Acoustics EB1.... (a bit out of budget @ £470)

Others may be more helpful

Cno

A

Anonymous

Thanks chaps

In answer to your set up question. They are hooked up to a Harman / Kardon hk 3490 stereo receiver, using QED silver anniversary cable, music played through iTunes via a Cambridge audio DAC Magic... They are placed on atacama stands. Average sized space, low ceilings.

The mezzo 2's have been great, and did retail for £450 so equivalents would be around the same price I suppose. at £279, might be worth just replacing???

Advice welcome on the rest of the system, if beneficial...

Cheers
Jeff

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
mosjef said:
Thanks chaps

In answer to your set up question. They are hooked up to a Harman / Kardon hk 3490 stereo receiver, using QED silver anniversary cable, music played through iTunes via a Cambridge audio DAC Magic... They are placed on atacama stands. Average sized space, low ceilings. The mezzo 2's have been great, and did retail for £450 so equivalents would be around the same price I suppose. at £279, might be worth just replacing??? Advice welcome on the rest of the system, if beneficial... Cheers Jeff

I can only comment on your system based on my taste.

I would find the presentation a little on the bright and forward side. The Dac Magic is forward and detailed and IMO would sound better through Alienrick's standard recommendation of Van Damme UP LC-OFC speaker cable (I don't like QED).

There is nothing wrong with the HK, but Mordaunt Short is not to my taste either (but that doesn't matter in the slightest). Consider, and then try to demo any suggestions you get, to see if you prefer the alternatives. Then if nothing stands out, buy the Mezzo 2 with confidence. It's your taste that counts in the end.

mosjef said:
Thanks chaps

In answer to your set up question. They are hooked up to a Harman / Kardon hk 3490 stereo receiver, using QED silver anniversary cable, music played through iTunes via a Cambridge audio DAC Magic... They are placed on atacama stands. Average sized space, low ceilings. The mezzo 2's have been great, and did retail for £450 so equivalents would be around the same price I suppose. at £279, might be worth just replacing??? Advice welcome on the rest of the system, if beneficial... Cheers Jeff

"Might be worth just replacing." Thought your Mezzo has blown? so unless you want to replace the drive unit, you'll have to look at a direct replacement or a different brand. The ones I've mentioned come closest, and better the Mezzos, you won't go far wrong, tonally, with the suggestions I've made previously.

A

Anonymous

@plastic Penguin – Yes, well I think the left speaker has blown, fine at normal levels, starts f@*ting when above normal, but only at certain bass frequencies, some things it can handle at any level and seems fine!?!? Anyway, yes, by replacing I meant replacing with a new pair, rather than replacing the driver, a new driver costs around £160, then there would be repair fees on top of that. So might as well replace. Or of course check out what you have suggested.

mosjef said:
@plastic Penguin – Yes, well I think the left speaker has blown, fine at normal levels, starts f@*ting when above normal, but only at certain bass frequencies, some things it can handle at any level and seems fine!?!? Anyway, yes, by replacing I meant replacing with a new pair, rather than replacing the driver, a new driver costs around £160, then there would be repair fees on top of that. So might as well replace. Or of course check out what you have suggested.

Fair play - but before spending money check to make sure the driver bolts are secure. You can use an Allen key to tighten, but don't be too heavy handed or you could shred the threads. Also make sure the drivers aren't covered in muck or grit (I know I'm probably stating the obvious).

If you've carried out all these checks then audition a few different pairs with your amp and familiar music

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts