Alternative for Harman Kardon HK 990 ?

mpapo

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

I currently have a Cambridge Audio Dacmagic, and a vintage Sansui amp model AUX711. Speakers are Dynaudio Contour 1.3 MKII.

I'm looking to replace the DAC + amp by the Harman Kardon HK990 with built-in DAC.

Are there any alternatives for this amp ?

- the price of the HK Is the max I'm willing to pay.

- amp should deliver enough juice to drive my hard to drive speakers.

Thanks

mpapo

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Thanks all!

The Hegel H70 looks interesting but doesn't have a built in phono amp and only 1 optical in. So it doens't really fit my needs.

I'm currently in doubt between:

- HK 990

- keep my dacmagic and buy creek destiny (used)

any opinions on the 2 choices ?

T

the record spot

Have a look at the Onkyo TX-8050; soundwise, it might not be too different from the HK990 (very neutral - the HK990 certainly was), it has a phono stage, four digital inputs (2x Optical, 2x Coax), delivers around 130wpc at 6ohms, circa 100 at 8, also comes with an ethernet port, so giving access to firmware upgrade, internet radio and thanks to a recent enhancement, Spotify functionality too. You can also add a subwoofer, an additional power amp and its connectivity is the best for any two-channel amp/receiver on the market currently. £300 at Superfi, or £269 with the 10% discount they're doing until the end of today. Or, go to Richer Sounds and get it for £259 if they honour their £10 off promise. ;)

Yes, by all means, check out the pricier stuff too, the newer Onkyo gear looks superb and those other amps that people have mentioned would all be worth a good slice of your time, but the 8050 ticks off all your requirements. After that, it's just a question of whether you like how it comes through your speakers.

http://www.uk.onkyo.com/en/products/tx-8050-43158.html

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
albireo said:
Have you considered the XTZ A100 D3?

Had the same dilemma earlier this year, the HK didn't do it for me and I could not afford a Supernait! In the end I went for the XTZ A100 D3 on 1 months trial and I have not looked back, gives me everything I need:

50wpc in class A or, for a bit more drive, 110wpc in Class AB

Decent DAC (IMO it's better the the DacMagic)

Good phono stage

Oh..and the build quality is excellent - I've seen amps up to 2k that aren't as well built as this

All for 625 quid :grin:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts