Alpha vs Diva vs NAD

lcd4ever

Oct 23, 2008
Visit site
Final post on this topic guys I promise.......on my e-bay quest to replace my Arcam Alpha II.....I have arrived at 3 final choices of amp that will be integrated into my set ups depending on what I make a final bid for.....

Anyway I have already in my possession an Arcam Alpha 7se cd player and a Cd 72.....will be using Mission 33i speakers.

So the final shortlist of amps(fanfare)......Arcam Alpha 10

Arcam A75

Nad C352.....

I would partner the A75 or the Nad with the cd72 and the Alpha 10 with the 7se.....

your thoughts on the best choice for my money would be much appreciated......

lcd4ever

Oct 23, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for your input Mathew seriously considering the NAD as its only a couple of years old, and I love my 545BEE cd player/Roksan combo.....but then there is synergy to consider with the Alpha and Diva set ups. If I could get the Alpha 10 for a reasonable price that was a £800 amp in its day.......still confused. I will be listening to mostly classical and folk/acoustic stuff on this set up as it's in my office so its usually 'chill-out' stuff I like when I escape in there....

A

Anonymous

NAD definitely I have heard quite a few amps now, and none in my opinion I have enjoyed listening to as much as the one you mention

lcd4ever:

Final post on this topic guys I promise.......on my e-bay quest to replace my Arcam Alpha II.....I have arrived at 3 final choices of amp that will be integrated into my set ups depending on what I make a final bid for.....

Anyway I have already in my possession an Arcam Alpha 7se cd player and a Cd 72.....will be using Mission 33i speakers.

So the final shortlist of amps(fanfare)......Arcam Alpha 10

Arcam A75

Nad C352.....

I would partner the A75 or the Nad with the cd72 and the Alpha 10 with the 7se.....

your thoughts on the best choice for my money would be much appreciated......

Your stated choices seem a little disjointed in terms of RRP's. The Alpha 10 back in the late nineties was voted the most innovative amp of its generation. Then you look at A75 which one above the entry-level (and not very popular, so I'm told). This is why most chose the A65 Plus and remained one of the best budget entry-level amps.

The Nad 352 is a wonderful machine, outguns the A75 but only marginally beats the A65 Plus. If you're budget could stretch to the Alpha 10, I would seriously look at A85

lcd4ever:Thanks Plastic Penguin.... if only......the A85's I've seen on e-bay are going for around £250-300 I'm hoping to spend around £150......

Fair enough. If you are genuinely interested in Arcam, the A65 Plus sounds far more substantial than the A75. Don't know why that should be.

Just ahd another thought. When I auditioned for my Arcam, I heard the 352 and Rotel RA-02. I seen a few of the RA-02's going for around £150 quid recently. Brilliant amp.

lcd4ever

Oct 23, 2008
Visit site
So is the RA-02 better than the Arcam A65 (or Alpha 10) and the Nad or do you think I have a better shot at a lower price with the rotel ?

Also what do you think of the Alpha 7, 8 and 9 are they far inferior to the 10 and how do they rate against the A65 or 75

lcd4ever:

So is the RA-02 better than the Arcam A65 (or Alpha 10) and the Nad or do you think I have a better shot at a lower price with the rotel ?

Also what do you think of the Alpha 7, 8 and 9 are they far inferior to the 10 and how do they rate against the A65 or 75

That's a damn good question. TBVH with you I auditioned those three with my old Wharfedales and although they all had superb traits, I felt, after a very long session (the guy at the shop was starting to pull his hair out) I felt the A65's integration was a tad better than the Rotel and Nad. But it was a close run thing! The real conclusion was that the Arcam and Nad were easier to match with speakers.

I still have the Alpha 7R and it's a good'n. Slightly richer in its presentation than the A65, whereas the A65 is bit more detailed and open. It's a flip of a coin really.....what do you prefer?

The Alpha 8 and 9 are a slight step-up from the 7, not heard the 10 so can't comment.

Also bare in mind that the Arcams have a superior feature count to the Rotel and Nad. And look-wise (and build quality) of the Nad is horrid. Great amp, but it was the overall package that sold the Arcam.....

EDIT- Just remembered, I tested my Arcs and started a thread. Hope this helps.

http://community.whathifi.com/forums/t/109428.aspx

A

Anonymous

Hi lcd4ever. I just noticed you asked about my NAD 370 compared to the Arcam 8R and 8P on another thread.

Id say the NAD is an improvement in every way over the Arcams but Im not sure that is because the NAD is better match for my speakers or is just an out and out improvement in its own right. Im sure youd be happy with both of the amps as I loved both of mine. Id be inclined to go with the NAD though.

Try and get an audition of both if possible with your speakers.Even if theyre not the exact same sound you may get an idea of the brands house sound.

bobbyg81:

Hi lcd4ever. I just noticed you asked about my NAD 370 compared to the Arcam 8R and 8P on another thread.

Id say the NAD is an improvement in every way over the Arcams but Im not sure that is because the NAD is better match for my speakers or is just an out and out improvement in its own right. Im sure youd be happy with both of the amps as I loved both of mine. Id be inclined to go with the NAD though.

Try and get an audition of both if possible with your speakers.Even if theyre not the exact same sound you may get an idea of the brands house sound.

Sorry to barge in, bobby. Isn't your Nad 150 watts per channel? if so, that explaines (probably) why your Nad sounds better than the Arcam. The models under discussion are between 40-80 watts, and the ATC aren't the best with low powered/low current amps.

A

Anonymous

Sure, it's the power of the NAD giving massive headroom, the low end it allows for and the massive soundstage, it never seems strained even if you like to listen to music at higher levels.

T

the record spot

lcd4ever:Thanks for your input Mathew seriously considering the NAD as its only a couple of years old, and I love my 545BEE cd player/Roksan combo.....but then there is synergy to consider with the Alpha and Diva set ups. If I could get the Alpha 10 for a reasonable price that was a £800 amp in its day.......still confused. I will be listening to mostly classical and folk/acoustic stuff on this set up as it's in my office so its usually 'chill-out' stuff I like when I escape in there....

Easy, the Alpha 10 - impressive functionality, capability to work on several platforms, additional slots inside for AV capability and you can get what was a £900 (you'll find) amp for £250 now. Most are in excellent shape given their original cost, unlikely to be trashed and you can add a power amp for a serious bit of kit. Great reviews, highly recommended.

NAD, yep, fine, good amp, but you really should be considering the 370 over the 352 if you're comparing to the Alpha 10.

And yes, the additional power will make a difference. Hence the recommendation for the Alpha 10 and the 370. I think the 352 is 80wpc, so it's not short of grunt (my Sansui is 85wpc at a conservative rating as per NAD) but I know where my money would go here.

A

Anonymous

The NAD C370 is 120 watts per channel.

I agree that the extra power will explain why it sounds better with my ATCs. At higher volumes there is no strain or distortion unless you got to silly unlistenable levels.

However it as iat the low volumes that I really hear an improvement. I only really get a chance to listen myself at aroundmidnight and have my amp at around 7 oclockon the dial. With the NAD it allows me to hear the whole recording without any emphasis on any frequency.

The ATCs maybe get on with high powered amps and enjoy being cranked but I think they are superb for low listening levels. The NAD certainly helps with this. I cant wait to find a C270 power amp to add to it. They seem to be like gold dust though!

lcd4ever

Oct 23, 2008
Visit site
Well guys lost all of them.......the Nad went for £220 considering it's price new (£380) in 2004 is quite steep I thought; the A75+ went for a reasonable £150, the alpha 10 for £250.....I know still a bargain but £200 is my max spend.

tomorrow watching a couple of Nad C370's but they go for 250+ usually, a couple of Alpha 8's and a Nad C340(liking my chances here at around £150).....

so we'll see.......

lcd4ever:

Well guys lost all of them.......the Nad went for £220 considering it's price new (£380) in 2004 is quite steep I thought; the A75+ went for a reasonable £150, the alpha 10 for £250.....I know still a bargain but £200 is my max spend.

tomorrow watching a couple of Nad C370's but they go for 250+ usually, a couple of Alpha 8's and a Nad C340(liking my chances here at around £150).....

so we'll see.......

It's a rascal - last summer the A65 sold for around £180, since then all amp prices have taken a tumble in the s/hand market.

Good luck

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin:

It's a rascal - last summer the A65 sold for around £180, since then all amp prices have taken a tumble in the s/hand market.

Good luck

So it would seem; three have gone for between £75-£100 in the past couple of weeks.

I had really set my heart on this one http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ARCAM-DiVA-A65-Amplifier-/120566546445?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item1c1253800d ,but a nasty expense as come up and can't bid for it now *GRRR and SOBBING*

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
Would have gone for the Alpha 10 given the chance - was a very respectable amp a whole market sector above the NAD - it's actual power output was about 115 watts into 8ohms and (having heard both) I'd say it coped with higher volumes with more composure... I reckon if you're buying second hand you may as well aim high!

A

Anonymous

My advice would be not to touch the arcam A75 with a barge pole.Apart from the fact it is not in the same league as the other 2, it is not a good amp. Nice mid range and treble but a soft almost mushy bass. It is a dull amp with no balls rndering any music requiring abit of oomph dull and lifeless to listen to. I had one for a while and regretted buying it.

The alpha 10 is a great amp and so is the nad 352. I am biased as i have a nad 352 and can't speak highly enough of it. It has everything and is a fantastic amp for the money. It also matches up very well with the cd73.I had that combo for a while. I would get the 352 or a 355 if you can stretch as richer sounds are doing it for 299 or 199 with the richer sounds advert in this months what hi fi.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts