Midlife crisis "final" system & some comparisons

SeattleChris

Apr 15, 2021
Visit site
Happy to report my wife indulged my midlife crisis and let me assemble my "final" stereo system, which is now B&W 705s3 speakers, NAD c399 amp, dual SVS SB1000 pro subs, Schiit Bifrost 2 dac. A couple audition thoughts:

B&W 606s2AE vs B&W 705s3: Wow, despite the difference in price I didn't expect that much difference in soundstage. Like a veil was lifted and clarity doubled. I swear I located six different instrument/performer positions in a CD-quality Amazon HD rock music stream. Considering rock isn't always recorded well that's amazing. Realize many do not like the tweeter-on-top aesthetic but there may be something to it. I no longer hear high treble so someone with better hearing should comment on whether it's too bright (I think the midrange and low treble is awesome).

NAD c368 vs NAD c399 vs Rotel RA1572MKII: Made a fraction of the difference the speakers did. Preferred the NAD c399, felt it tightened things up a bit further compared to the others.

Never imagined I'd own a system of this quality, feel very, very fortunate!

SeattleChris

Apr 15, 2021
Visit site
Hi AI ears - While I want my midrange & treble as precise as possible, I like my bass big, tight & punchy, borderline discotech (listen to rock & pop nearly exclusively). I'm sure many of you would consider my bass "bloated". It seems the bass I'm looking for cannot be delivered by less than 12" woofers, so I really like what powered subs do for my system. I firmly believe high-quality bookshelf speakers paired with subs can deliver sound comparable to floorstanders that would cost double. I'm sure there will be disagreement...

Reactions: Al ears
Hi AI ears - While I want my midrange & treble as precise as possible, I like my bass big, tight & punchy, borderline discotech (listen to rock & pop nearly exclusively). I'm sure many of you would consider my bass "bloated". It seems the bass I'm looking for cannot be delivered by less than 12" woofers, so I really like what powered subs do for my system. I firmly believe high-quality bookshelf speakers paired with subs can deliver sound comparable to floorstanders that would cost double. I'm sure there will be disagreement...
not from me although I did wonder why two.....

SeattleChris

Apr 15, 2021
Visit site
Can you post pictures in Show Off Your Setup thread for our viewing pleasure.
Appreciate the request, but my listening room (a small home office) is so far from ideal it's not worth showing off. The speakers are on wood stands on my desk 4 feet apart, the subs are under the desk 4 feet apart. The sound is actually terrible anywhere but the sweet spot, about 3 feet back from the desk. There it is so good I disappear into the music. My biggest regret is I can only move the rear-ported speakers away from the wall about 8 inches, enough to help dramatically but not as far as I would like. I can only imagine what the system would sound like in a proper listening room...

Romulus

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
I don't understand this obsession for more bass in the systems. What do audiophiles actually listen to to hear this ultra low bass from subs? If someone is fixated on organ music and wants accurate reproduction of bass than I can understand the need. But if it's just music like reggae surely a half decent system can cope...? Just curious as to the music which demands this accurate low bass....?

Reactions: WayneKerr

Gray

Just curious as to the music which demands this accurate low bass....?
Bass from multiple 12" (or bigger) drivers is a special experience.
The music doesn't have to be especially bass heavy to benefit.

I'm OK with the speed and quality of bass from my little 2-way standmounts - which is just as well because 12"+ drivers / subs are not an option for me, due to attached neighbours.

Many are happy with smaller drivers - but don't go thinking you wouldn't get added enjoyment from your music with some real air being moved.

Reactions: Fidelity dom
Appreciate the request, but my listening room (a small home office) is so far from ideal it's not worth showing off. The speakers are on wood stands on my desk 4 feet apart, the subs are under the desk 4 feet apart. The sound is actually terrible anywhere but the sweet spot, about 3 feet back from the desk. There it is so good I disappear into the music. My biggest regret is I can only move the rear-ported speakers away from the wall about 8 inches, enough to help dramatically but not as far as I would like. I can only imagine what the system would sound like in a proper listening room...
The only real issue is your speaker placement. The 705 aren't the smallest of standmounts, and being only 4 feet apart this will impact on stereo imaging. And on stands on a desk isn't ideal, you will never hear them at their best.

Wish you luck. It sounds like a nice combo.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts