Advice needed- Digital music Hi-Fi System Set up for beginner

Paul

Nov 21, 2015
Visit site
Hi All,

I'm very new to the hi-fi scene and have been doing my research online to get a good sound system set up for my new place.

My requirements are

1) Able to play back digital file in high-res

2) Able to play back digital file over NAS, USB, Bluetooth, Wireless.

3) Music sound quality - I listen to a variety of genre, classic, pop, rock, dance, hip-hop

4) Better movie quality than TV in build speakers

5) Floorstanders vs Bookshelf? I'm building my living room around the sound system set up, so would have space for either set up. I tried Zensor 1 vs Zensor 5 and the sound quality esp at Bass level is pretty significant. I'm thinking if i have to add a sub-woofer I'll prefer to go for floorstanders

With that in mind I think I'll need to get a network audio player, stereo amp and speakers. My budget is USD$2000

This is the set up that I have in mind - let me know what you guys think

I plan to just hook up my Tv directly to the amplifier for movies.

Option 1 -

Network Audio Player - Bluesound Node 2

Stereo Amplifier - Marantz PM6005? Quad Venta? Rotel RA-11?

Zensor 5

Option 2-

Bluesound Power Node 2 / NAD D3020

Zensor 5

Bluesound seems to be a good option for me to have multi-room playback in the future and I'm incline to option 2 at this moment due to budget. Since with option 2, I'll be able to meet my requirements which is close to my budget. For the price difference between the bluesound node 2 and Bluesound power node 2 of around USD$300, there doesn't seen to be any decent stereo amplifier available at that price range that can provide the equivalent of option 2?

My thinking is that unless I'm willing to spend more than my budget, option 1 seems out since the better stereo amps will cost more?

Does anyone have a recommendation/feedback on Bluesound Powernode 2 as an amp to drive Zensor 5? Also how does B&W 685S2 compare to Zensor 5?

Thanks in advance for your help. :)

Esra

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Hi Paul,there is also an active version of the Zensor5 driven by a class D with 2x50 Watt. It gets good reviews in europe.So the Powernode 2 should have no problems with the zensor 5.Imo i would also go for option 2 as the powernode 2 has all the features you need. I see no advantage in the PM 6005 and node 2 combo as long as you don´t need more connections.

If you prefer the Zensor 5 or B&W 685S2 is up to you.Both the S2 and Zensor series are good and enjoyable speakers in their price bracket.Also don´t rule out the Zensor 3 and Rubicon 2 and have a look at PSB speakers as well which could have a better price in your region and combine well with NAD and Bluesound.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
A lot depends on what is available in your market, it makes a difference.

If I was in the UK/Europe and buying to your requirements, I would match a Node2 with a pair of Adam Artist6 floorstanders.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/adam_artist_6_hochglanz_schwarz.htm

Simple, elegant, sounds great and costs around £1000.

Maybe a little left over for a sub to use for movies. I would not use a cheap sub for music, so if you are determined to do so, spend a little more.

Paul

Nov 21, 2015
Visit site
Thanks Esra, I'm inclined to option 2 and will also check out the other speakers that you mentioned. Right now are also additional recommendations provided by the sales person.

She recommended DALI Zensor 5 and Marantz MCR-611 CD network receiver (or even MCR-511 network receiver) and if i can increase my budget to go for Dali Zensor 5 nd Quad Vena.

The features for MCR-611 and MCR-511 looks really good but i can't find full reviews on either. Anyone has feedback on these 2 products? Also i think the downside is that it doesn't support multi-room wireless streaming.

What about Yamaha RN-602? the features look really good as well with musiccast which will support multi-room wireless streaming.

Does the Quad Vena has the ability to play from NAS?

Paul

Nov 21, 2015
Visit site
I'm based out of Singapore.. I haven't seen any Adam Artist6 around.. But I'm pretty new to the scene.

We do get access to very competitively priced Marantz and Yamaha amps which are tempting with the features at the price point. I guess I'll have to go to the shops to check out the various combinations.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Paul said:
I'm based out of Singapore.. I haven't seen any Adam Artist6 around.. But I'm pretty new to the scene.

We do get access to very competitively priced Marantz and Yamaha amps which are tempting with the features at the price point. I guess I'll have to go to the shops to check out the various combinations.

Location does make a big difference in terms of price and availability.

One of my favourite products is the (older) Yamaha RN500, currently available for about £300 in the uk. The cheaper RN301 seems much less competent, maybe the new 602 model will offer more.

Unless you need a CD player, these amps will do pretty much everything, more potent than the Marantz MC-Rs and with, in my experience, a better control app/interface.

Choose the amp you prefer, then audition speakers to suit. I like Dali as a brand and would use either the Zensor 1 with a sub or Zensor 5s, but thats up to you.

Paul

Nov 21, 2015
Visit site
I had an audition with Marantz mcr611 vs quad vena both on zensor 5 and the sound quality from the quad just blew Marantz away. I've bought the Zensor 5 but I'm still undecided on the amp. The quad vena literally put a smile on my face when hooked up direct through usb and even with playback through Bluetooth. The only downside is it doesn't access NAS direct and no multi-room option.

I'm not able to audition each of these 3 amps with the zensor 5 to compare..

Any advice on the pairing?

Can someone who has auditioned this amps help?

Does Bluesound sound good vs Quad?

TRENDING THREADS