Almost...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

iceman16

CnoEvil said:
plastic penguin said:
I do get a bit concerned given that the talk is about the LS50s need good amplification. Most speakers worth their sort do. For a good couple of years WHFI highly recommended partnering the LS50s with Arcam A19 - so can't see any issues with my amp in that dept.
I also see no issues with your amp....but the LS50s have considerable headroom (IMO), which simply means they just get better and better as a system improves (provided they are set up properly).

+1 and just to add IME they're also quite revealing so a good source is a must IMO. Room acoustics is also important cause when I demo them at my local dealer I was quite impressed. The tonal balance is very good and the best thing Ive noticed compared to other speakers I tried is how they handle separation of instruments despite the size.

CnoEvil said:
plastic penguin said:
I do get a bit concerned given that the talk is about the LS50s need good amplification. Most speakers worth their sort do. For a good couple of years WHFI highly recommended partnering the LS50s with Arcam A19 - so can't see any issues with my amp in that dept.
I also see no issues with your amp....but the LS50s have considerable headroom (IMO), which simply means they just get better and better as a system improves (provided they are set up properly).

Totally understand that, but you could say the same about my TB2is. Connect them to a Tucana or Hegel 160 and they will accommodate the extra quality.

One perfect example I've experienced. In the 'Against' section of PMC DB1i in the WHFI review it says "Needs good amplification". Yet when I had the A65 and dem'd the DB1i they sounded fine. In fact the little 40 watter powered the DBs better than the RS6s.

The defining factor for me will be two-fold: First, must sound good at low levels. And second, hope the bass goes deep enough to sound good with films. The RS6s and TB2is were/are superb in this area.

One thing I'm not looking for is wall shaking sound. Never have the need to play that loud. If you can't have a conversation without shouting at each other - that's too loud.

iceman16

plastic penguin said:
The defining factor for me will be two-fold: First, must sound good at low levels. And second, hope the bass goes deep enough to sound good with films. The RS6s and TB2is were/are superb in this area.

One thing I'm not looking for is wall shaking sound. Never have the need to play that loud. If you can't have a conversation without shouting at each other - that's too loud.

I have heard the DB1i and I think the LS50s are better all round. I also use them for 5.1 ht also impressive

iceman16 said:
plastic penguin said:

I have heard the DB1i and I think the LS50s are better all round. I also use them for 5.1 ht also impressive

Upscale the DB1 and that's the TB2s. Bigger drivers and cabinet volume. They are hard to fault apart from they MAY be too large for comfortable listening with any genre/source.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
When i demod them at frank harvey i was very confused.
I wanted to love them but preferred the more fuller sound from the r300s.

Having said that the detail/quality from the ls50s that is lacking from the r series is why i want to change them for more revealing quality/detail.

iceman16 said:
My Arcam A29 is more than enough for the LS50s IME. I mean the "grip" is there and a lot better than the previous Rega Brio-r and Elex-r IMO

That's one thing the Leema doesn't lack - grip. I've said this anytime anyone has asked about the Pulses virtues: I've not heard any integrated amp below the 2k that matches taut, agile bass of the Pulse. In this respect it is a game changer IMHO.

Altjough it doesn't have the bass depth of some rivals it more than makes amends for LF power and definition. Of course there are others that match and beat it on ultimate detail, and perhaps, its sonic signature won't appeal to all. But for shear excitment and smiles-per-miles, not much in its price bracket comes close, much less beat.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Womaz said:
There are a few guys on the Devialet forum who use the LS50 with their Devialet amp and they love them.

Yes, I really like the combo. If anything a Devialet 200 would serve them better than my 120...

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
KEF LS50s for the 'head' and Audio-Notes AX-Twos for the 'heart' (groan) according to this ...

http://www.dagogo.com/kef-ls-50-bookshelf-speaker-review/2 (paragraph 5 onwards on that page)

http://www.dagogo.com/audio-note-uk-ax-two-loudspeaker-review/3 (also paragraph 5 onwards)

The AX-Twos are £750 (or were when I bought mine a couple of months ago), so just a little cheaper than the LS50s..

I would generally concur (from the little i've heard of the LS50s hooked up to a Naim Uniti 2 in a shop) that the LS50s are a 'technically' great speaker and superb for electronic music. The KEFs are not very sensitive at 85dB and their impedance drops a little low (3.2 Ohms minimum). I guess that won't matter with your Leema (bags of control no doubt). I don't like the KEF's looks much (stamped foil ashtrays) but what I like is not an issue...

652550.jpg
KEF%20LS50%201.jpg

... my speakers don't look much. Very 'plain', very ordinary. The AX-Two's sensitivity is 90dB and their impedance is 6 Ohms (minimum is 5 Ohms) so a pretty easy load.

Unlike the LS50s you won't find many places to audition the Audio-Notes in a shop but that doesn't bother me. (Far from it.)

Just a thought.

Until I came across these two reviews i'd never have dreamt that anyone would compare two such 'opposite' loudspeaker systems.

I'd recommend reading both reviews in full (not just the comparisons with other speakers).

chebby said:
KEF LS50s for the 'head' and Audio-Notes AX-Twos for the 'heart' (groan) according to this ...

http://www.dagogo.com/kef-ls-50-bookshelf-speaker-review/2 (paragraph 5 onwards on that page)

http://www.dagogo.com/audio-note-uk-ax-two-loudspeaker-review/3 (also paragraph 5 onwards)

The AX-Twos are £750 (or were when I bought mine a couple of months ago), so just a little cheaper than the LS50s..

I would generally concur (from the little i've heard of the LS50s hooked up to a Naim Uniti 2 in a shop) that the LS50s are a 'technically' great speaker and superb for electronic music. The KEFs are not very sensitive at 85dB and their impedance drops a little low (3.2 Ohms minimum). I guess that won't matter with your Leema (bags of control no doubt). I don't like the KEF's looks much (stamped foil ashtrays) but what I like is not an issue...

... my speakers don't look much. Very 'plain', very ordinary. The AX-Two's sensitivity is 90dB and their impedance is 6 Ohms (minimum is 5 Ohms) so a pretty easy load.

Unlike the LS50s you won't find many places to audition the Audio-Notes in a shop but that doesn't bother me. (Far from it.)

Just a thought.

Until I came across these two reviews i'd never have dreamt that anyone would compare two such 'opposite' loudspeaker systems.

I'd recommend reading both reviews in full (not just the comparisons with other speakers).

Thanks Chebby but... 'Head', 'heart'? Don't have either. I'm a hi-fi fan.

I'll have a read later. Just had a text from my daughter requesting a book, but she hasn't stipulated which book. I'll take in a copy of WHFI mag. *biggrin*

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts