All In One Systems: Naim, Arcam and Cyrus

BillyE

Aug 18, 2007
Visit site
I have a budget of up to £1200, but could push to £1400, maybe, and am looking for a media server, so am thinking of the Solo Neo, the UnitiQute2 and the Streamline2. Obviously the Arcam unit has the CD player as well. I understand each of these brands has a 'house' sound - roughly what is it? What do I need to listen out for when I am auditioning. I like Jazz and Vocals, so what would work best?

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Yes they all have a house sound - aapparently

I have only heard a unitiqute i don't thinlk you will go wrong with either!

Best have a listen but I think you need to choose your box first then audition speakers to match.

i know the Naim hasn't much power but should be ok with most sensitive speakers

manicm

Both the Naim and Cyrus are 30w jobs, but don't let that put you off. Reviewers have paired the Qute2 with ridiculously expensive speakers with great results, and the Cyrus unofficial forum had a Streamline with KEF R100s and swore by them. Both are great.

The Arcam is a more powerful 50w unit, but hi-res audio is completely off the cards.

Since you're into jazz/vocals either Cyrus/Naim should be great, and at some time you'd want to dabble in hi-res too. The Naim has the advantage of a DAB/FM module though.

The Solo seems to be the black sheep of Arcam's range, my Solo Mini is 5 years old with no replacement in sight, and as I said the Neo does not do hi-res. Arcam seems to be giving love to only the FMJ and rSeries right now.

magnus78

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
Not considering the upcoming Marantz M-CR 610? Its cheaper and sounds good. Bought it few days and managed to try it with few cds this morning.

kmlav

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
The Naim and the Cyrus are both really good and both have a surprisingly good sound for compact units. Personally I did not think the Arcam Solo was as good but others might disagree.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts