All-in-one or integrated amp?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
I'm not much of a box swapper myself, just replaced a pair of Dali menuets I bought in 1994 and a pair of Dali Evidence 470s I bought in 1998, replaced my NAD 118/216 bought in 1997 and 1998. I've sold exactly one item everything else has moved to other rooms, be re used in surround system or has been gifted to family.
I think like most people we work very hard and music is one of our rewards and we dont spend our money lightly.
I'm a music first person, and it so happens I'm lucky to have a system that tick all the boxes I could hope.

Won't upgrade in the foreseeable, when it happens it will need to be very special in the realms of a entry-level Accuphase.

Very contented penguin.

record_spot

Owners of the 8050 were very happy, but it seems to have sold in very small numbers

Sure, but I imagine it wasn't released in very large numbers either.

The 2010s decade had a plethora of amps released that jumped on the internet connectivity bandwagon (rightly IMO). As to sales figures, you'd need to ask Onkyo about that. As to knowing about those figures without their input, I'd be guessing and I don't think I'd be the only one.

Sure, but I imagine it wasn't released in very large numbers either.

The 2010s decade had a plethora of amps released that jumped on the internet connectivity bandwagon (rightly IMO). As to sales figures, you'd need to ask Onkyo about that. As to knowing about those figures without their input, I'd be guessing and I don't think I'd be the only one.
Fair play. I've never owned or heard any Onkyo gear, I was guessing the small numbers as only Matthew and your good self owned one on this forum.

Noddy

Mar 16, 2023
www.EnglishFungi.org
I get the convenience of having it all in one box. What's best for pure sound quality?

Years ago I called all-in-ones the modern music centre. Justified?

Discuss...

I have an Arcam Solo Movie, after six years it’s failing. The analogue inputs have lots of noise on the lines, which I assume is due to excess heat damaging components. I would favour separates, if one unit fails, you throw it out. I have had to buy a new amp, and throw out the whole Arcam.

In my book an integrated amp with DAC and streamer is just another integrated amp, the extras are not complex. Just buy the one that sounds and looks right. Bolt on a Wiim Mini if need be,

However, the advantage of an external streamer is that the built in one won’t include support for future music libraries, whereas the Wiim Mini is updated monthly, I assume others are too. Also some amps with an integrated streamer have mediocre streaming software. BluOS is excellent of course.

Romulus

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
My all in one amp would have all usual streaming capabilities (don't need Roon end point), a cd ripper, storage SSD, a power out put to drive difficult speakers (eg ATC SCM19 or SCM40). comprehensive RCA connections (including Balanced connections) and comprehensive Digital connections (to include Telly and laptop connections), if it has phono connection that would be a bonus but not a deal breaker last but not least to contain a good DAC. If any one can recommend brands that would be great. As to amp it must have some quality to integrate well with ATC speakers....

Noddy

Mar 16, 2023
www.EnglishFungi.org
My all in one amp would have all usual streaming capabilities (don't need Roon end point), a cd ripper, storage SSD, a power out put to drive difficult speakers (eg ATC SCM19 or SCM40). comprehensive RCA connections (including Balanced connections) and comprehensive Digital connections (to include Telly and laptop connections), if it has phono connection that would be a bonus but not a deal breaker last but not least to contain a good DAC. If any one can recommend brands that would be great. As to amp it must have some quality to integrate well with ATC speakers....

Two that come to mind are Brennan, and the Bluesound Vault though the latter lacks an amp and uses a hard drive. I know from experience that hard drives can and do fail. Ohers with more knowledge may have better suggestions.

An alternative is a PC to rip and store CDs using iTunes, and play back via wifi to an Airplay enabled amp.

skinnypuppy71

Aug 10, 2021
Visit site
The Naim uniti star is the only product that I can think of that can handle most if not all your specs....although not sure how it'd handle the atc scm.....I reckon you really need a couple of boxes to do the job you need really well and it'd cost a pretty penny or two, AVM, Electrocompaniet, Hegel, sim audio, novafidelity do have some cd ripping / streaming products.

matthewpianist

Two that come to mind are Brennan, and the Bluesound Vault though the latter lacks an amp and uses a hard drive. I know from experience that hard drives can and do fail. Ohers with more knowledge may have better suggestions.

An alternative is a PC to rip and store CDs using iTunes, and play back via wifi to an Airplay enabled amp.

It's vital to back-
Fair play. I've never owned or heard any Onkyo gear, I was guessing the small numbers as only Matthew and your good self owned one on this forum.

I think asking Onkyo about numbers could be hard now given that they went bust. It seemed at the Bristol Show that Henley are distributing some Onkyo kit, so perhaps the name is quietly being resurrected. I'm not sure what's happening with Pioneer either, as they were part of the same company.

matthewpianist

Denon D-M41 with a pair of high sensitive spakes is all you need, if you want to you can connect a subwoofer

I listened to a DM41DAB my Dad has a few weeks ago with Q Acoustics 3020i, which I know are very good speakers. As good as the little Denon is for its price, it doesn't get close to competing with well matched budget separates - quite vague sounding and lacking in scale by comparison. That's why I encouraged him to get the Marantz 6007s and B&W 607s2 set-up, and there is a world of difference.

The discontinued Musical Fidelity Encore might have come close, but I can’t think of a ripper, SSD and decent amp in one box. Maybe Hifi Rose have something, but it’s a new brand so I’d wait and see.

An ATC amp and an Innuos Zenith might be just the ticket, albeit two boxes!

andybebbs

Apr 30, 2020
Visit site
Lyngdorf tdai 1120 best amp i have ever owned, great streamer as well as phono input for your turntable,cd input, internet radio, room perfect and great sub integration and lots more.

podknocker

The Lyngdorf TDAI-1120 is one of John Darko's favourite amps and if I'd not bought an Audiolab Omnia, then the Lyngdorf TDAI-1120 would have been my choice. I bought the Omnia, because I own 250 CDs, which I never play. My next streamer won't have a CD player. I also won't need a phono stage, or a 2nd set of speaker posts. I'm going to stop buying things with features I will never use.

Reactions: andybebbs
I listened to a DM41DAB my Dad has a few weeks ago with Q Acoustics 3020i, which I know are very good speakers. As good as the little Denon is for its price, it doesn't get close to competing with well matched budget separates - quite vague sounding and lacking in scale by comparison. That's why I encouraged him to get the Marantz 6007s and B&W 607s2 set-up, and there is a world of difference.
The ma-in-law purchased the DM 40 from a few years ago and compared to her old Technics Mini system the Denon was underwhelming. The Technics she had for over 20 years.

Reactions: matthewpianist

matthewpianist

The ma-in-law purchased the DM 40 from a few years ago and compared to her old Technics Mini system the Denon was underwhelming. The Technics she had for over 20 years.

It's a relatively cheap and cheerful box, but its talents are too often overstated. The Marantz MCR612/Melody Media X is well worth the higher price, not just in terms of feature-set but also because of its sound.

Last edited:

AJM1981

In the great amps for a reasonable price category the Yamaha Wxa50 is best to my taste with plenty of fine tuning possibilities. The Arylic A50 2nd behind that. Just amazing price / quality balanced products.

I have them both in use for a different set and never regret a day. Bought them after watching and reading a lot of reviews and crossing pro's and cons in sound and the way to operate them. The Yamaha eventually replaced my huge Harman Kardon amp, so it had to be at least similsr in specs and sound quality. But it went slightly beyond. One of the best purchases I made.

Reactions: Noddy
Just received a CD of Macy Gray and her voice sounds breathtaking, almost like she's in the room. The imaging is stunning.

Would a all-in-one make me tingle in the same way? Not sure.
Depends on the all in one in question.
there's no doubt the higher end jobs are of good enough quality to do any CD justice although I would doubt their ability when it comes to vinyl replay and most all in ones aren't as they tend to be constrained to streaming and digital formats only.

Reactions: WayneKerr

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts