All in One Box HiFi Solution?

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Hi guys,

Well I have sold my Caspian Pre and Power Amps, mainly because they are very rarely used now days and most of my listening is via PC, DAC and Headphones or my Portable Rig and Headphones.

I will eventually be replacing these with a combines DAC and Headphone Amp, which will become my main listening system via the Netbook and Headphones.

I am also looking to replace the caspians with an all in one box solution which will have my Turntable and Castle Richmond speakers attached. This will be mainly used for parties and also more critical listening with my Turntable and Vinyl.

So I am looking for possible one box systems to demo which should consist have radio (internet), CD Player and amp all in one. It will need to have at least one set of additional RCA in's for use with either my Turntable or to connect a DAC and PC to. Two sets of RCA would be great, but I dont mind keep having to change between the T/T and DAC, as the T/T will only be used probably once or twice a month.

I have of course got the Marantz MC-R603 in mind as the main contender....but can anybody else recommend options that would meet the above criteria. Looking to spend a maximum of £500.00 and musical tastes are ecclectic an cover pretty much every genre.

ONE BOX SOLUTIONS ONLY THOUGH PLEASE GUYS.

:cheers:

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
If you go down the M-CR603 route you'll need a phono amp for your TT, and have you considered using the DAC in the M-CR603 rather than another box?

matthewpiano

It pretty much comes down to a choice between the Marantz or the Denon RCD-N7 (CEOL) below £500. You could use the DAC in either although if you connect to your current DAC via USB you would need a USB > S/PDIF converter, so might as well stick to your current DAC and connect it to one of the anaolgue AUX IN terminals on the Marantz/Denon.

Both are excellent units. The Marantz has the advantage of DAB (if you need it), better finish, and a second set of speaker outputs, but the Denon is generally available quite a bit cheaper and I've been impressed by the sound of both units when I've heard them.

manicm

I have the Arcam Solo Mini, and very good it does sound too. But it would be hard to recommend to anyone it as it's not as versatile as the Marantz.

I'm keeping it because I'll make a huge loss selling it, also I'll get a bit more mileage out of it due to Arcam's new digital iPod dock which integrates nicely with it.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
Why do you need a CD player if you use computer?

consider ADM 9T (and/or the forthcoming ADM 40) - a different take on low box count and an excellent upgrade on sound qualilty. A bit more than 500gbp but you can sell current speakers which will help the budget a bit and you gain lots of driving power without big boxes.

John Duncan

Yeah, there's a pair of Castle Richmonds on eBay going for £10.50 currently, so that should go a long way to bridge the gap between the OP's £500 budget and the £1250 asking price of the ADMs (or the £3k+ of the 40s).

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
:rofl:
John Duncan said:
Yeah, there's a pair of Castle Richmonds on eBay going for £10.50 currently, so that should go a long way to bridge the gap between the OP's £500 budget and the £1250 asking price of the ADMs (or the £3k+ of the 40s).

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Longer term that is the idea...Active Speakers with the Netbook and controlled via iPad. At the moment though budget wont stretch that far for just occasional use.

It sounds as though functionality and sound wise the Marantz is still the one to beat at the price then :)

matthewpiano

The only thing going against the Marantz is the current price at which you can buy the Denon RCD-N7/CEOL unit. It is generally £150 less than the Marantz, so if you don't need DAB or the 2nd set of speaker outputs I would think it is quite hard to justify paying the extra given that the amp specs, chassis, remote control, display etc. are all the same.

matthewpiano

I think its always good to have some way of playing CDs for those times when there are network issues or when you just want to put a new disc on straight away. Units like the Denon and Marantz systems make it easy to keep CD replay without having to give over extra space to it. Although the Arcam doesn't offer streaming features, I would think a Squeezebox Touch + Solo Mini + a good pair of speakers would also make a fantastic set-up.

Fuzzy Bear

Jan 19, 2009
Visit site
The Marantz seems to have crept back up in price recently. Post Christmas it was £380 ish now about £430, but in most cases that is with a free Airplay upgrade.

The Marantz also has an optical in I think. Marantz certainly the popular choice on these forums.

There is also the TEAC CR-H700DAB.

Anyone know if any similar units are rumoured for this year?

matthewpiano

Yes, the Denon and Marantz both have exactly the same compliment of inputs - two analogue AUX inputs and a digital optical input on the back, and an analogue mini-jack input on the front panel. Makes them flexible for this type of unit.

TEAC's most interesting products at present look to be the new Reference 01 series components. The A-H01 DAC/amp looks very interesting - very compact with the full compliment of digital inputs (including USB) and B&O ICEpower class D amplification. Would be interesting to hear how it sounds.

Ravey Gravey Davy

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
John Duncan said:
jerry klinger said:
AlmaataKZ said:
Why do you need a CD player if you use computer?

I can think of several common scenarios where people might prefer a simple solution not connected to a network or computer, wired or not.

Like when Mrs JD goes "I JUST WANT TO PUT A ******* DISC IN!!!!".
I think our wives are related.Certainly from a linguistic point of view.

James7

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
It seems the biggest problem you will have finding a one-box system primarily for vinyl listening is the lack of phono stage, meaning you may have to buy two boxes.

If you are also looking for a DAC/headphone amp for primary listening, though, you might want to consider the Furutech ADL GT40, with its built in phono stage. This could be hooked up to whichever one-box you go for for vinyl duties but would also mean you can listen to vinyl through your headphones. I think it can also be used to transfer vinyl to computer, which might be useful.

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Cheers guys,

The Phono Stage isnt an issue....as I was having to use one with the Caspian M1 Pre/Power combo and I still have it. I havent actually decided yet whether to sell my Rega Planar 3 as again it hardly get's used.

I am looking to buy a decent DAC/HP Amp for use with my Netbook and headphones (predominantly my main listening system now)

The one box solution (as this will be in the dining room) is for when we are entertaining or if we want background music when poterring around. As mentioned I already have the speakers so just want something that can offer the option of using CD's or the Netbook as and when the situation comes up.

On that basis it was seem as though I need to decide whether DAB is an essential requirement.......streaming isnt at the moment. So if I can live without DAB and can live the the looks of the Denon then that would be the easiest and cheapest solution to hand. Especially if it sounds as good as the Marantz.

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Fuzzy Bear said:
What is your internet situation? You can presumably get internet radio if not dab. Good for 5 live etc.

Yeah I have just read the specs on the Denon and it obviously has internet radio and streaming capability including AirPlay. It even has an iPod dock.

I don't need DAB so The Denon could be good. Demo for the Marantz and Denon it is then.

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
How about considering the Sansui WMH-700L. Not strictly 'all-in-one' as it consists of 2 units but being micro it doesn't take up much room. For the price of it I would say its aimed at the CR603 and Denon CEOL market. Saw and heard it at the Bristol show and was pretty impressed. Might be worth you googling Sansui for detailed specs etc.

Rich

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts