Alchemy or turning Arcam amps into a Chord DAC

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
I've now sold both of my former Arcam amps and want to put the money towards the Chord QBD. I'm currently watching a Chord 64 on eBay to get an idea of possible sell-on value for mine, and then hopefully I'll be near to the asking price of an ex-dem or used QBD. This is all a preamble for the ultimate question: is it worth it? The upgrade from 64 to QBD, that is. I've floated this query very recently in a similar thread but wanted to garner further opinions whilst I continue to deliberate. Any further thoughts anyone?

Hi Charlie Jefferson

Over the last couple of years i've had DAC64 owners who have wanted to compare them to the QBD76. On every single occasion within a few moments the decision was made to purchase the QBD76. As good as the DAC64 is i very much doubt you'll consider it again after the stunning QBD76.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Not heard the 64 but I do have a QBD76. You would be more than welcome to come and have a listen to it if you're not too far away. Ask the admin team to send you my email address if you're interested.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
MUSICRAFT:
Hi Charlie Jefferson

Your welcome.

Btw, if you are considering buying a used QBD76 then please also take extra care in making sure that all is well with the unit.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Thanks again Rick.

Regarding purchasing a used DAC: other than the obvious signs of wear and tear, what else should/could I look out for?

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
IanS1:Not heard the 64 but I do have a QBD76. You would be more than welcome to come and have a listen to it if you're not too far away. Ask the admin team to send you my email address if you're interested.

Thanks for your offer Ian.

I live near Wakefield, West Yorkshire. So is it worth me contacting the admin team for your email address? Maybe you're in the Outer Hebrides or some such or maybe just down the road in Barnsley. Who knows!

A

Anonymous

I'm just south of Birmingham, probably a bit too far for you but you're more than welcome.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for the offer, but it is probably just a bit too far.

I'm considering going to Vickers Hi-fi in York for a listen, when I get the chance. They've got an ex-dem model, but not at a greatly reduced price.

Thanks again.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts