nad c352,denon pma-720 or else for a metal head

k77stan

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
hi there,in the last 3 months i've spent countless hours reading helpful info from all of you guys and decided to seek an opinion today,as english is not my first lingo,please excuse any mistakes made..i listen to all kinds of metal and rock music,as the thing that gets me going is a guitar with distortion on it..come to think Depeche Mode is probably the only band i love with no guitars in it.i have jbl l830 speakers and a rel stampede sub and old sony dvd player which will be discarded soon.so far i tried 3 amps-my old sony ta fe330,harman kardon hk980 and recently arcam fmj a28.the sound that i crave is to have punch,bass,drive and attack as well as some detail at least.the idea was to have the sub emphasize on the bass drum kicks,or double bass on bands like pantera and anthrax..the hk980 was to weak sounding to my liking,the sony has most of the above beleive it or not,but the sound is a bit basic and not detailed at all.which brings me to the a28-wonderful amp,but not for metal.you can listen to it and not even realize its on..theres just no bite and kick..the missus loves it though as its so easy on the ear.but what i found was that with the sony the rel only really kicking in on the bass drum as i wanted it,whereas with the a28 i was relying on the sub to provide almost all the bass,also with sony,the guitars were upfront,screaming with the vocals just behind them-fine by me,whereas with the arcam the guitars were all of a sudden lost a bit in the mix and the vocals quite more up front..which is not why i listen to metal and rock.the a28 made bands like rammstein and system of a down sound a bit like bon jovi(bless him:) any other style of music the a28 really is in a class of its own,but its just not geared towards heavy,agressive guitar sound.my interconnects are a chord cobra plus and an old cambridge audio yellow pacific,i have the a28 fully biwired and that way it sounds better than the othe way.from all the reading here and beleive me i did a lot i got the firm impression that one of the brands for heavy music is nad..i managed to find a c352 brand new for 250 quid,i also read quite a bit about the new denon pma-720,i know matthewpiano quite likes it,though it ill be interesting to know if tried playing something heavy on it,the pma-720 is on sale for 269 and there is the c326 for a similair price.i know the c352 is an old model,but to the best of my knowledge there hasnt been revolutionary changes in amp making i the last decade?i quite like my speakers and i know they are capable of giving me what i want with the right amp,the source is important off course,but the main thing is the amp,thanx in advance and merry x-mas everyone

A

Anonymous

Reading through what you've written and understanding (I tyhink) what you're after; I'd say youre on the right tracks re the NAD amp

NAD C352, NAD C355BEE or NAD C372 amps would be the ones where I'd look

However the Arcam Alpha 10 would be well worth looking at as well; even though it's from the Alpha range; it was the odd one out and THE best they did! It was a £1k amp in its day and still sounds fantastic to this day. In my view Arcam never did a better amp; the FMJ A32 came very close but none hit the power, prowess and gusto that the Alpha 10 had!

All will be available 2nd hand via eBay and possibly other 'hifi' related forums; keep your eyes peeled :D

Around the £200 to £300 mark is where they'll all come in; if any more then the seller is trying to take the biscuit IMO

k77stan

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Thanx for the reply,the c355 is hard to get..as I mentioned I saw c352 new for 250 as well as the c372 new for 350..though the c372 seems too big and powerfull..i will check on the alfa..sounds interesting.i think the sony was nearer what I wanted maybe cause it has a loudness button(hated by most),but that when on seams to push up the spectre up a notch and helps with heavy music imo,the a28 has a' take it or leave it ' sound,nothing you can do about it.. :rockout:

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
k77stan said:
Thanx for the reply,the c355 is hard to get..as I mentioned I saw c352 new for 250 as well as the c372 new for 350..though the c372 seems too big and powerfull..i will check on the alfa..sounds interesting.i think the sony was nearer what I wanted maybe cause it has a loudness button(hated by most),but that when on seams to push up the spectre up a notch and helps with heavy music imo,the a28 has a' take it or leave it ' sound,nothing you can do about it.. :rockout:
Hi k77stan I saw system of a down at download 2011 and will be going to see Ramstien in 2013 I would recommend the Musical fedility m6i if funds will allow or the m3i if not I know what sound you are after as I listen to Rock . Prog Rock . Metal etc good luck in your search :rockout: :rockout:

k77stan

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
toyota man said:
Hi k77stan I saw system of a down at download 2011 and will be going to see Ramstien in 2013 I would recommend the Musical fedility m6i if funds will allow or the m3i if not I know what sound you are after as I listen to Rock . Prog Rock . Metal etc good luck in your search :rockout: :rockout:
hi toyota man,thanx for the advice,i know tha musical fidelity is the one to have,but i'm affraid its just a bit too expensive for me at the moment.you gonna have a blast with rammstein and soad live..i've seen them live twice each-mind blowing.except for TOOL,who are my all time favorites,in concert rammstein are up there with the very best,as them germans are really being able to cut the mustard when it comes to playing live..pure theatre >)

p.s. last month i went to see motorhead and anthrax,motorhead was a sonic rape,i love lemmy and co to death,but the sound was too loud and all midrange and not much else,still :cheers:

k77stan

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
what about the rotel ra-1520? from what i read its more dynamic and punchy than the a28..obviously more than twice the price of the c352 though.. :wall:

A

Anonymous

The Rotel RA1520 is a very good amp but having heard it a few times now with varying speakers (B&W, Dynaudio, Monitor Audio and Rega) I found that with metal and rock; the sound could become bright & fatiguing at times; especially with vocals etc...

Dont get me wrong it is a superb amp but it needs careful speaker matching etc...

k77stan

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
thanx,yeah,i've read about the exposure quite a bit, but keep thinking about the c352,which i can now have new for abut 220..which is a steal really and is also hailed as a good choice for rock..

A

Anonymous

I had the NAD C352 before switching to Cambridge.

It is simply brilliant for rock :)

You can't go wrong with that.

I do not listen to much rock and wanted a more neutral-sounding amp, that's why I switched.

You can live happily with the C352 for a long, long time, I think.

Best,

Henrik

k77stan

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
hbuus said:

I do not listen to much rock and wanted a more neutral-sounding amp, that's why I switched.

Best,

Henrik

Cheers Henrik,much appreciated.getting a recommendation from someone who had the amp is what i wanted to hear,rock on :cheers:

k77stan

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
hbuus said:

Best,

Henrik

Cheers Henrik,much appreciated.getting a recommendation from someone who had the amp is what i wanted to hear,rock on :cheers:

k77stan

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
hbuus said:

Best,

Henrik

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts