al7478 re your comments in the where did you start....

nads

Yes your cables should be the same length, maybe i was a bit anal but mine were done to the mm. It does matter. you mention a sound card for when you are playing the music from the PC. Have a look at a sound bridge or a squeezebox or a Sonos. I was getting fed up of the poor quality of sound of everything being played via the PC and got a soundbridge and this will play Internet radio and all the music on the PC's and the quality is so much better. have a look.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Good Lord, im almost touched by the fact you've started a thread specifically to address me! Apologies if i went a bit off topic in that thread - ive had a drink, but i guess thats no excuse LOL! re squeezebox etc...I've a lot to learn about sch things. What i like about the pc is that ive got the screen to use to select songs/make playlists. i wouldnt have that with a squeezebox would i...? My initial plan was to, as i said, i think, to upgrade my leads and interconnect, then get a sound card. However, one idea im keeping in mind for the future is to build a pc optimised for audio reproduction, but still capable of day to day computing tasks as such, if you see what i mean. im inspired by a thread here somewhere by someone who made a media centre pc. of course, mine would be a bit diferent, as itd be a pc optimised for music, rather than a pure media server. Another idea was to get a laptop that can handle my internet requirements, and upgrade my curent pc to do the music server job. these ideas are inspired by the fact that i like having my music on screen (long term id like to have it linked to an lcd with vista OS so as to operate music from the couch as im a lazy beggar - preferably a remote capable of fulfilling as many functions as possible), plus limited space in my box of a flat (cant have a dedicated hifi rack - amp lives on a shelf on a desk under my printer). Im sure ive missed plenty out but, anyway, many thanks for the interest, i look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
what makes the quality better with a squeezebox or similar product? i must admit my knowledge of such things is less than basic. ive taken a vague interest in them, but figured since ive a small flat, i dont need to stream music to other rooms (and other people arent a concern as i lice alone (blub blub). i never really considered them for the use you are suggesting. Intrigueing idea.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Sorry, but i figure i might aswell ask, bein as im here lol, what speaker cable and interconnects are you using, and are you using them because they specifically suit NAD products? If you have any reccommendations, id love to hear them. I'm a bit wary of jumping on the QED Silver Anniversary bandwagon for the sheer sake of it, but then ive no interest in being deliberately obscure with my selection either. In other words, im not going to avoid something specifically because its popular, thats rather perverted. Its just i get the (perhaps entirely misguided) impression, that many more people here reccommend the QED stuff than actually use it...

nads

Heh Heh was the wine good?
right interconnects and speaker cable are in the sig. how did i get to them? well i was using Supra Dual and EFF-I for the interconnects and was happy with them untill i changed one to a spectrum 2a, well i then bought more.

the digi coax are QED Qunex SR75 Kabel and the speaker cable is Van den hul cs well it is in the sig. but before that i again had some supra ply 2.0 speaker cable and the difference was very noticeable.

Now to the soundbridge, as that is what i have, regard it as a good sound card, some up sample which can give a bit of noise which may be a problem but i can not hear it, well back to it i am here at my lap top surfing the net and generally being an *** ;) while at the same time listening to playlists that have been created and stored on the laptop. The soundbridge is showing the artist and the song, time played and time remaining and there is a bar graphic that represents this as well.

Now i could make some ore playlists and que them up but it ain't my thing... (and i don't know how Yet)..

From how i hear that you use and play your music i feel this type of thing might just suit you. what i like is that the laptop is not processing the music the soundbridge is.... OK i have never listened to a pc with a Bees Knees sound card but it will have its work cut out...... also as my soundbridge has one of each optical and digital out puts a separate DAC can be used...

Both my computers are in the same room as the Hifi and my main listening is not from them but .... before spending on building a music pc have a look and listen to some of these things.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
ill try and do that, ill try to find somewhere i can hear them in the new year. thanks for the info. what do you mean by you can have a DAC because you have both connections, analogue and digital? does that make a difderence to having a DAC? Sorry, im perhaps reaping the "reward" for last night's frivolities!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="nads"]Heh Heh was the wine good?[/quote]

I think it was very good... (jealous? yeah okay I am :)

nads

in fact on mine there is an analogue out put as well and then the two digi's why dont know but it seems normal for most things. I am only just really getting into this digi stuff myself

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts