AKG K812 Headphones suitability

jonbhoy67

Jan 6, 2016
Visit site
Hi guys,

Just read the recent article on headphones and enjoyed it. It's reignited my desire to upgrade my current cans!

Wanted to ask a question about the AKG K812; would my current setup be enough to properly drive the headphones to a decent level.

My CD player is a Primare CD22 and my headphone amp is a Graham Slee Solo Ultra Linear with a Fidelity Audio power source.

I currently use AKG Q701 cans and love them but feel they are, at times, a little too analytical and short on low end punch. I don't know if the AKG K812 would produce enough of a boost in quality with my current setup to warrant the extra outlay.

Any advice is, as always, much appreciated and if anyone owning the 812s can comment on your experiences with them and what you are using to drive them, that would be terrific.

Cheers,
John.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
jonbhoy67 said:
Hi guys,

Just read the recent article on headphones and enjoyed it. It's reignited my desire to upgrade my current cans!

Wanted to ask a question about the AKG K812; would my current setup be enough to properly drive the headphones to a decent level.My CD player is a Primare CD22 and my headphone amp is a Graham Slee Solo Ultra Linear with a Fidelity Audio power source.I currently use AKG Q701 cans and love them but feel they are, at times, a little too analytical and short on low end punch. I don't know if the AKG K812 would produce enough of a boost in quality with my current setup to warrant the extra outlay.Any advice is, as always, much appreciated and if anyone owning the 812s can comment on your experiences with them and what you are using to drive them, that would be terrific.Cheers,John.

Your amps are good, but the K812 is bright and very analytical. This EQ graph shows how I had to greatly reduce the treble around 4 khz to make it tolerable.

Akg_K812.jpg

jonbhoy67

Jan 6, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the reply, Dalethorn.

Taking your advice on board, I think it is probably essential to try and get a home demo sorted prior to any purchase. I think I'd prefer a warmer set of cans this time around so it may simply be that the K812 aren't for me.

John.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts