AKG K550 Mk2 versus older Sony MDR-CD470 (Digital Reference)

amg1

Apr 21, 2016
Visit site
Hi !

I am looking for some guidance on whether or not to purchase the AKG K550 Mk2's .

I currently have an older pair of Sony MDR-CD470 (Digital Reference) which must be at least ten years old, but are in perfect condition and sound good to my ears , on the rare ocassions that I use headphones over my Monitor Audio Bronze BR5's. (For reference, I also have a set of Sennheiser RS120 Wireless Headphones , which again I rarely use, mainly due to the tightness of the unit on the ears after short time periods.......again, these sound good to my ears).

Could someone more knowledgeable in these matters indicate if the sound quality of the AKG's would be so vastly superior / noticeable as to justify the cost ( £110 ) , or would there not be much difference at all between the two , given the technical comparisons ?

The attached link indicates the specs of the old Sony 470's (despite it incorrectly referencing Philips!) ............

https://philips.encompass.com/shop/model_research_docs/?file=/SON/sm/MDRCD470.pdf

-I would intend to use at home only , with Marantz separates , and an iPod Classic ...so the external portability element is of no concern to me. .........listen to anything from Indie/Alternative to some easy-listening.

Many thanks to anyone who can help on this query.

Adrian.

P.S. Unfortunately I am not living anywhere near a store so that I could actually listen/trial the AKG K550 Mk2's ......

K

keeper of the quays

amg1 said:
Hi !

I am looking for some guidance on whether or not to purchase the AKG K550 Mk2's .

I currently have an older pair of Sony MDR-CD470  (Digital Reference) which must be at least ten years old, but are in perfect condition and sound good to my ears , on the rare ocassions that I use headphones over my Monitor Audio Bronze BR5's.  (For reference, I also have a set of Sennheiser RS120 Wireless Headphones , which again I rarely use, mainly due to the tightness of the unit on the ears after short time periods.......again, these sound good to my ears).

Could someone more knowledgeable in these matters indicate if the sound quality of the AKG's would be so vastly superior / noticeable as to justify the cost ( £110 ) , or would there not be much difference at all between the two , given the technical comparisons ?

The attached link indicates the specs of the old Sony 470's (despite it incorrectly referencing Philips!) ............

https://philips.encompass.com/shop/model_research_docs/?file=/SON/sm/MDR...

-I would intend to use at home only , with Marantz separates , and an iPod Classic ...so the external portability element is of no concern to me. .........listen to anything from Indie/Alternative to some easy-listening.

Many thanks to anyone who can help on this query.

Adrian.

P.S.   Unfortunately I am not living anywhere near a store so that I could actually listen/trial the AKG K550 Mk2's ......
I have a pair of AKG 550 mk1? And they are splendid!

paulkebab

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
the most comfortable cans you can get. Regarding the sound I prefer a V shape and running flat EQ they're a bit neutral. Pump up the bass and treble and they can sound very good indeed.

amg1

Apr 21, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for your comments....much appreciated..... just wondering if you have any comments to make on the older Sony's specifications (below) vis-a-vis the AKG 550 Mk2's, and the technological advances I assume over the intervening 15 years plus ? Thanks again.

Sony MDR-CD470 Specifications :

Type- Closed

Driver Units- 40mm , dome type

Impedance – 40 ohms at 1 kHz

Sensitivity – 104 dB/ mW

Frequency Response - 10 – 25,000Hz

Power Handling capacity- 500 mW

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts