AKG K451s: Surprisingly poor

Twill

Oct 6, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

I just tried a pair of AKG K451s. I bought them on impulse, thinking I just needed some price friendly everyday cans, and if they didn't sound brilliant, it wouldn't really matter.

What has surprised me with them is actually how bad they sound. I know beauty is in the eye, or ear, of the beholder and all that, but how can a pair of cans so beloved of so many, sound so terrible to me?

I've looked around a bit, and there are reports on other forums of people having the same problems, some saying they were cured by running the phones in, some not.

Muffled, muddy, bass-heavy, no treble, and precious little midrange, I thought maybe they'd sent me something by Monster by mistake.

I'm pretty surprised. If I wanted a leaner, more clear and mid to treble happy presentation, what manufacturers would you look in to next?

Cheers.

D

Deleted member 2457

Twill said:
Hi, I just tried a pair of AKG K451s. I bought them on impulse, thinking I just needed some price friendly everyday cans, and if they didn't sound brilliant, it wouldn't really matter. What has surprised me with them is actually how bad they sound. I know beauty is in the eye, or ear, of the beholder and all that, but how can a pair of cans so beloved of so many, sound so terrible to me? I've looked around a bit, and there are reports on other forums of people having the same problems, some saying they were cured by running the phones in, some not. Muffled, muddy, bass-heavy, no treble, and precious little midrange, I thought maybe they'd sent me something by Monster by mistake. I'm pretty surprised. If I wanted a leaner, more clear and mid to treble happy presentation, what manufacturers would you look in to next? Cheers.

Are you going to return them?

Sidney_Windsor

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
I think surprisingly poor is being generous. They are truly dreadful. Unfortunately I bought mine too long ago to return them. I had hoped they'd improve once they were "run in" but that hasn't proved to be the case.

Did I buy them from a reputable dealer? Amazon.

Twill

Oct 6, 2007
Visit site
It's amazing isn't it. You'd think with all the awards, 5* & 9/10 reviews they've had, in many other places than just WHF, there'd at least be something of merit about them. I'd go as far as to say my Apple EarPods actually sound better, and they're not exactly the best.

I did get them from a reputable dealer, and I will be trying to return them. Failing that, I'll just give them away in disgust.

All of which leaves one question: where do you consider going next if you're looking for an on-ear that has a leaner, faster style, with more clarity, less mud, and less obscuring bass? A lot of people like the Momentums, but I'd be looking for a slightly more wallet-friendly option.

Cheers.

Sidney_Windsor

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
I listened to the Momentums recently (and I do like Sennheisers) but I've just bought a pair of AKG Q701s which I would definitely recommend - but I probably wouldn't wear them out and about!!!

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Sidney_Windsor said:
I listened to the Momentums recently (and I do like Sennheisers) but I've just bought a pair of AKG Q701s which I would definitely recommend - but I probably wouldn't wear them out and about!!!

Yep the Q701s are really good.

Chris

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Musical Fidelity MF-100. I tried these alongside an AKG551 once as it happens and they were world's apart. They are good right across the range.

TRENDING THREADS