AKG K450 vs iGrado

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
I haven't heard them both but I am familiar with the stereotyipcal grado sound which is a forward presentation in the upper midrange. They are both well reviewed although the AKG was originally much more expensive. I see WHF review the iGrado @ £40 but the cheapest I can see it for on the net is £45, I guess they put the price up when it got good reviews like the Beyerdynamic DT770. Anyway it will be difficult for people to say which one is "better" even if they own them both because it will most likely be personal preference. Your best bet is to try them both, if you can't read as many reviews as you can and try to work out which sonic characteristics better suit you and just go for it.

I hope you don't want them for a commute btw since they are both open back.

A

Anonymous

K450 are quite a 'closed sound' to me. I get no complaints from another bod 1 foot away watching TV, and that's including blasting Rammstein! :) :) :)

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Graham_Thomas said:
K450 are quite a 'closed sound' to me. I get no complaints from another bod 1 foot away watching TV, and that's including blasting Rammstein! :) :) :)
Must be less open than the Grado then, well ok that's something to consider. Have you ever had any Grados Graham?

Juzzie Wuzzie

The AKG's seem pretty closed to me - I use them in bed and doesn't seem to bother the "better half" sleeping next to me. I've got the Grado SR60s which aren't as useful in such a situation, but sound good as well.

A

Anonymous

I've had Grado SR-125s. I hated the sound. Seriously. Too thin and tinny.
smiley-frown.gif
Much more 'open'.

HDNumpty

Jan 17, 2008
Visit site
This is wierd...I'm carrying out just such a test tonight using my iPod Classic, iPhone and a slightly older pair of iGrados (with the SR60 drivers, not the SR60i ones which are on the market now). The AKGs are very good headphones with lots of detail and very strong bass. They are a conventional over-head-and-over-ear design with some nice flexibility and accessories - you can turn them Into a headset or make them into a full noise-cancelling pair. You can't do any of this with the iGrados and they are a 'neckband' design which isn't always comfortable. They're also very big so make you look like Star Wars character. The sound of the iGrados is excellent but on balance the AKGs pip them for atmosphere.

My only criticism of the AKGs is that complex tracks sometimes seem to overwhelm them and the bass seems to swamp everything. They are also at their best with no background noise in my opinion.

At this price I prefer the AKGs sound, build (bits have fallen off my iGrados after 3 years) and practicality. If you have more £££ consider Audio Technica which are also excellent - I loved mine but some b*****d nicked them :(

Happy Shopping!

psurquhart

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
I bought some AKG's and didnt like them at all - Im a big chap 6ft 2" and they just looked silly on me - they are very compact and my ears are a bit on the large size !

Its all down to taste really - the AKG's were just missing something for my listening pleasure - they are not bad but I really dont get why they are so hyped but as stated its all down to your own preferences.

I bought them from Richer Sounds and ended up taking them back and imo got the far superior Audio Technica ATH-WS55i's - cost slightly more but I love them - great bass.

I have not tried the Grados you mention but love my mates SR60's but I needed a closed back design so not to annoy the missus. I love my Audio Technica's.

I paid £49.95 for the AKG's and £89.95 for the AT'S.

HDNumpty

Jan 17, 2008
Visit site
I agree with the poster above - my ATH-55s were a better headphone than the K450s. But the K450s are £50, AKGs start at £90. Still not entirely sure why they got the award above the ATs though, they are more flexible but have an inferior sound

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
HDNumpty said:
I agree with the poster above - my ATH-55s were a better headphone than the K450s. But the K450s are £50, AKGs start at £90. Still not entirely sure why they got the award above the ATs though, they are more flexible but have an inferior sound

I think the answer is in the price, I have a pair of the K450s and I think they are great. I 'downgraded' from a pair of Denon AHD-2000s as I hardly used them and wanted something for on the move as well as at home and they fit the bill perfectly - they don't leak noise either (accordingto my wife)

psurquhart

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
mitch65 said:
HDNumpty said:

I think the answer is in the price, I have a pair of the K450s and I think they are great. I 'downgraded' from a pair of Denon AHD-2000s as I hardly used them and wanted something for on the move as well as at home and they fit the bill perfectly - they don't leak noise either (accordingto my wife)

They leaked like a sieve on my big clumpy ears !!! But as stated, Im a big chap and they simply didnt fit my ears (too small).

The K450's won best headphones under £100, still think that accolade should have gone to my Audio Technicas - forgetting about my 6ft 2" head - they just sound superior imo but obviously not as portable.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts