Question AKG K245 headphones mechanical fault - advice please!

Airlane1979

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
I bought a pair of these in June 2022. In October, after light use at home, the two metal connecting rods between the right earpiece and the junction unit came loose and wouldn't stay in their slots. This means the earpiece stands proud of my head rather than snugly fitting as it should. Is this a common fault? The retailer, to whom I've returned them, refuses to help, telling me I've damaged them myself. This is a disappointing failure of an AKG product. Should I abandon all hope of getting them repaired or replaced after just a few months of use? AKG K245 fault.jpg

Airlane1979

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
AKG passed me to Harman, who handle their more professional products; they told me to send them back to the retailer, as it's nothing to do with them. The retailer says they were damaged by me, which they weren't. I'd have thought there would be a way to repair them, as it's just a couple of metal tubes that have become detached from their junction unit. They keep swivelling around, which pushes the earpiece outwards rather than towards my head.

Gray

Should I abandon all hope of getting them repaired or replaced after just a few months of use?
No, you shouldn't.
Your retailer doesn't seem to believe the story you have told us.
Give him a chance to reconsider and take the appropriate action.

If he still refuses to help - name his business......it will help others to know who to avoid.

(Maybe show him this as part of your discussion if necessary).

Last edited:

Airlane1979

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
No, you shouldn't.
Your retailer doesn't seem to believe the story you have told us.
Give him a chance to reconsider and take the appropriate action.

If he still refuses to help - name his business......it will help others to know who to avoid.

(Maybe show him this as part of your discussion if necessary).
Thank you for your excellent advice. I will do so.

Reactions: Gray

Stuart.W.D

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
The retailer, to whom I've returned them, refuses to help, telling me I've damaged them myself. This is a disappointing failure of an AKG product. Should I abandon all hope of getting them repaired or replaced after just a few months of use? View attachment 4125

The headphones are under warranty, you have purchased defective product, you have the right to return the AKG to the retailer and get a repair. These rights are known as your statutory rights. Check exactly what is covered under your warranty, whether it covers the parts, is the cost of labour included etc.

Reactions: Airlane1979
Especially relevant here, and it will help your cause if you reverted to the retailer within 6 months of your June purchase date:-

Your right to a repair or replacement
You can state your preference, but the retailer can normally choose whichever would be cheapest or easier for it to do.
If the attempt at a repair or replacement is unsuccessful, you can then claim a refund or a price reduction if you wish to keep the product.
Beyond the first 30 days of ownership you're entitled to a full or partial refund instead of a repair or replacement if any of the following are true:
  • an attempt at repair or replacement has failed
  • the cost of the repair or replacement is disproportionate to the value of the goods or digital content
  • a repair or replacement is impossible
  • a repair or replacement will cause you significant inconvenience
  • the repair or replacement will take an unreasonably long amount of time.
If a repair or replacement is not possible, or the attempt at repair fails, or the first replacement also turns out to be defective, you can reject the goods for a full refund.
If you don't want a refund and still want your product repaired or replaced, you have the right to request that the retailer makes further attempts at a repair or replacement.
If you discover the fault within the first six months of having the product, it is presumed to have been there since the time you took ownership of it - unless the retailer can prove otherwise.
The retailer can't make any deductions from your refund in the first six months following an unsuccessful attempt at repair or replacement.
The only exception to this rule is motor vehicles, where the retailer may make a reasonable reduction for the use you've already had of the vehicle after the first 30 days.
If a fault develops after the first six months, the burden is on you to prove that the product was faulty at the time you took ownership of it.
In practice, this may require some form of expert report, opinion or evidence of similar problems across the product range.

Reactions: Airlane1979

Airlane1979

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
Many thanks for the information supplied about our consumer rights - which I am sure the ebay retailer either did not know or hoped that I would not know. I copied and pasted the reply from Gray on this thread to the retailer, who responded by telling me he has returned the headphones to his supplier for them to decide if to repair or replace, which will take up to four weeks. That'll have to do, I think.

Reactions: Stuart.W.D and Gray

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts